• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying Away - Airbnb?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Castle Cary Fairy View Post
    You don't really need them unless you're not on the flat rate scheme and are claiming VAT on all your expenses.
    Thanks. I haven't yet set up my company so I don't really know the position on VAT. I'm just doing research on the area for where my first contract will be and looking at accommodation options. Hotels feel expensive and I want the ability to microwave meals I've cooked and brought with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
      Thanks. I haven't yet set up my company so I don't really know the position on VAT. I'm just doing research on the area for where my first contract will be and looking at accommodation options. Hotels feel expensive and I want the ability to microwave meals I've cooked and brought with me.
      Depending on your rate, there are apart-hotels and short term holiday flats still, - airb&b hasn't replaced them, and they're potentially less dodgy

Comment

No drama with AirBnB - as above, they will provide invoices and e-mails and such which are sufficient. For the most part, the only VAT element is on the service charge so I tend not to bother with the invoice process and not claim any VAT.

It's worth noting, that in my experience, because of the lack of the VAT you may be surprised how competitive some hotels are once you remove their VAT element. AirBnB has other advantages, too - but just remember to compare like for like when weighing up.

The other thing is, if you're talking long term, make sure to have a chat with the owner. I stayed in London for a year and put all of 2 weeks through AirBnB - far easier to deal direct, but obviously some (small IMHO) element of risk without any AirBnB guarantees.

Comment

What's the consensus on expensing the Thistle Hotel Heathrow? Anyone tried this?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            What's the consensus on expensing the Thistle Hotel Heathrow? Anyone tried this?
            What bawbag could be that stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              What bawbag could be that stupid?
              So cretinous that I'd probably need to see it in writing to believe it. In the format of, say, a trip review.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                No drama with AirBnB - as above, they will provide invoices and e-mails and such which are sufficient. For the most part, the only VAT element is on the service charge so I tend not to bother with the invoice process and not claim any VAT.

It's worth noting, that in my experience, because of the lack of the VAT you may be surprised how competitive some hotels are once you remove their VAT element. AirBnB has other advantages, too - but just remember to compare like for like when weighing up.

The other thing is, if you're talking long term, make sure to have a chat with the owner. I stayed in London for a year and put all of 2 weeks through AirBnB - far easier to deal direct, but obviously some (small IMHO) element of risk without any AirBnB guarantees.
                Thanks. That is my intention, to find somewhere I like and try to deal direct.

I hadn't considered calculating the hotels without VAT. I will bear that in mind. I presume the Airbnb does not include VAT?

Comment

Be careful not to get scammed, as I have just been.

It's quite simple really, you post a listing of your purportedly immaculate apartment and get your network of AirBnB contacts to post glowing reviews (check that these positive reviews aren't all from cancelled bookings!) and wait for some weary business traveller to take the bait.

So, you get to the apartment and find that it is a pigsty. You immediately cancel and raise an issue in the AirBnB resolution centre and all will be well, yes?

Nope....

AirBnB are supposed to hold payments for 24 hours but by the time someone from their call centre in the Philippines has palmed you off with some mealy mouthed platitudes, the money has gone.

Funny thing is, the scammer is easily identifiable - you have to produce identity documents, all sorts these days to be on AirBnB.

But they couldn't care less. AirBnB are obviously quite happy to be the enablers of crooks and fraudsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Man Utd View Post

It's quite simple really, you post a listing of your purportedly immaculate apartment and get your network of AirBnB contacts to post glowing reviews (check that these positive reviews aren't all from cancelled bookings!) and wait for some weary business traveller to take the bait.

So, you get to the apartment and find that it is a pigsty. You immediately cancel and raise an issue in the AirBnB resolution centre and all will be well, yes?

Nope....

AirBnB are supposed to hold payments for 24 hours but by the time someone from their call centre in the Philippines has palmed you off with some mealy mouthed platitudes, the money has gone.

Funny thing is, the scammer is easily identifiable - you have to produce identity documents, all sorts these days to be on AirBnB.

But they couldn't care less. AirBnB are obviously quite happy to be the enablers of crooks and fraudsters.
                    Sound advice. Thank you. I hope you get this resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Man Utd View Post

Nope....

So how bad was the apartment?
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X