• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TSB meltdown...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would such a rollout involve testing using real customer data? My projects at banks always involved a snapshot of real data which was further fudged.
    In any case, some 2k per day contractors have messed up badly but will get away scot free and move on to the next train crash but will update their Linkedin about the successful delivery.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Would such a rollout involve testing using real customer data? My projects at banks always involved a snapshot of real data which was further fudged.
      In any case, some 2k per day contractors have messed up badly but will get away scot free and move on to the next train crash but will update their Linkedin about the successful delivery.
      There are some that don’t believe in rollback but trot out the ‘fix forward’ mantra.

Bunch of feckwits if you ask me.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        They could also have tulipty management, forcing through unrealistic deadlines.
        That was my first thought (FWIW)
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

These type of mass migrations always seem to fail.
          Many lessons learned reports will be produced, no one will read them, next time it happens again

Comment

Apparently the ongoing cost for using the Lloyds website and associated tech was £200m

Looks like we're headed into Thursday with this not being fixed (stemming from a 'weekend' migration)

Someone here must be working on the project... any inside info?

That said, I understand the target tech is handled by... Accenture. I'm sure they made lots of lovely PowerPoints during the course of the project.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Never stood a chance

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              the target tech is handled by... Accenture.
              Ah, now we know what went wrong...
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                They could also have tulipty management, forcing through unrealistic deadlines.
                Does that ever happen in IT?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  Ah, now we know what went wrong...
                  And now they've brought in IBM, so it could all go a little bit wronger...

And I echo what's been said previously about rollback - I've never done a migration without staking my life (and sometimes the lives of my family) on a rollback plan. The poor bastard PM for the TSB migration should expect to be fired, flogged or worse. He's probably cost them half their customers and possibly their long term existence. Still, I bet it all looked good on the project plan...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Does that ever happen in IT?
                    Of course not, ask your PM, or accountant

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      And now they've brought in IBM, so it could all go a little bit wronger...

And I echo what's been said previously about rollback - I've never done a migration without staking my life (and sometimes the lives of my family) on a rollback plan. The poor bastard PM for the TSB migration should expect to be fired, flogged or worse. He's probably cost them half their customers and possibly their long term existence. Still, I bet it all looked good on the project plan...
                      This isn’t (just) the PM, it’s those who probably bought into the agile/DevOps/cloud ideas without truly understanding the idea of quality to the the left.

The Devs who love the idea of CI/CD without the microservice architecture to go with it (you can only do fix forward if you’ve changed a tiny part of the code), and think that discipline to test properly stops them from deploying quickly are probably more responsible.

And the management who are too weak to control the Devs.

Feckwits, like I said.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X