• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    I hate to say it but I agree with you.

This has echo's of the 2008 crash where all the rating agencies were not adjusting the risk ratings for the toxic mortgage debt. Could you imagine the fallout if the pension funds start adjusting to the new reality if the rating agencies actually reflected the current risk. Watch the last 20 minutes of The Big Short, for me it appears history is being repeated but on a scale where 2008 could be a minor blip.
    The banks have much more capital than 2008. New regulations saw to that. They now have huge balance sheets.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      How is that even possible ??
      My bet is that they think that there's a bottomless pit of free Government cash waiting in the wings. Again. Only this time it's not just the banks that need it; it's EVERYBODY.

Or that someone, somewhere, is propping up the market until the big players can get out.
      Last edited by wattaj; 29 April 2020, 09:13. Reason: Clarity.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

This pandemic thing is just a storm in a teacup.

At least that's how the markets are currently pricing it...
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Remember what happens after a bull trap. If the bull trap is confirmed, then we'll have capitulation. This will be a total bloodbath.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Remember what happens after a bull trap. If the bull trap is confirmed, then we'll have capitulation. This will be a total bloodbath.
            Who has the authority to "confirm" a bull trap and how is it any different to saying what happened in hindsight?

Comment

This isn't a new paradigm scenario, unless you count 'the Fed will ensure no crash' is in fact it. So it's not a normal bubble crash.

Comment

The major economies are predicted to contract roughly 5-7% in 2020. That's what you need to use for your valuations.

The fact is though there will be sectors like travel which will be hit much harder than other sectors, such as toilet paper for example.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  This isn't a new paradigm scenario, unless you count 'the Fed will ensure no crash' is in fact it. So it's not a normal bubble crash.
                  Weren't the US markets overdue one of them anyway?
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The major economies are predicted to contract roughly 5-7% in 2020. That's what you need to use for your valuations.

The fact is though there will be sectors like travel which will be hit much harder than other sectors, such as toilet paper for example.
                    If you are correct, then this pandemic is just a storm in teacup and we will all be back to normal soon.

But what you need to consider is a lot of the bad news in terms of bad debt and defaults hasn't quite yet filtered through to quarterly results.

E.g. Barclays profit drops as bad debts surge in crisis | Sharecast.com
                    Banks to reveal significant increase in bad debt provisions
                    Deutsche Bank swings to net loss as bad debts surge | Sharecast.com

It is true the magic money tree will prop this up, but for how much longer?

Don't get me wrong, the winning trades now are almost all bullish, but consider when the music stops and the party ends, will you have taken your profits off the table?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      If you are correct, then this pandemic is just a storm in teacup and we will all be back to normal soon.

But what you need to consider is a lot of the bad news in terms of bad debt and defaults hasn't quite yet filtered through to quarterly results.

E.g. Barclays profit drops as bad debts surge in crisis | Sharecast.com
                      Banks to reveal significant increase in bad debt provisions
                      Deutsche Bank swings to net loss as bad debts surge | Sharecast.com

It is true the magic money tree will prop this up, but for how much longer?

Don't get me wrong, the winning trades now are almost all bullish, but consider when the music stops and the party ends, will you have taken your profits off the table?
                      Barclays made a profit. So they made less of a profit but still a profit and that is during armageddon.

Their share price reflects the drop in profit, i.e. profit 40% down, share price 50% down.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X