• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I have. Remember this is a technical trade, not a long term hold. I'm only in it for the profits. Also I expect, if not already, dividend payments to be withdrawn. This will be good opportunity for them to build up much needed cash.
    Do you actually read what you write?

You say it's not a long term hold ... then you say it's a good opportunity for them to build up cash. Cash doesn't 'build up' in the short term.

You say you're in it for short term profit, then say you expect them to withdraw divis. You do realise that once they announce they are to withdraw divis their share price (in the short term) will drop as those FMs who are trading for income will sell en-mass?

Now, you may be lucky and the stock price may rise ... we'll see
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Yup - my order had to go up to £36 to get filled.

Centrica names new boss
      Have you defined a stop-loss, either via HL or do you have one in your head for when you might bail?

And if it goes the other way, at what point would you take profits?

Comment

down over 3%, this was an obvious short looking at the chart technicals, the third candle from the left was flickering

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Have you defined a stop-loss, either via HL or do you have one in your head for when you might bail?

And if it goes the other way, at what point would you take profits?
          I don't use stop losses. I'm either right or I'm wrong. I control risk by limiting the portfolio exposure to a particular asset class. Diversification.

I'm taking 1st profits between £65-70
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            Do you actually read what you write?

You say it's not a long term hold ... then you say it's a good opportunity for them to build up cash. Cash doesn't 'build up' in the short term.

You say you're in it for short term profit, then say you expect them to withdraw divis. You do realise that once they announce they are to withdraw divis their share price (in the short term) will drop as those FMs who are trading for income will sell en-mass?

Now, you may be lucky and the stock price may rise ... we'll see
            Yes.

You trade based on what you believe the future price will be, not on the current doom & gloom. If a cash build up is perceived, then past losses will turn to profits.

I like how you end on 'you may be lucky' - of course. Selling for more than you bought, pure luck - might as well get that narrative in early
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
              down over 3%, this was an obvious short looking at the chart technicals, the third candle from the left was flickering
              A 23 year low was an obvious short?

Comment

might as well get that narrative in early
                We’ll stick it the preamble to the 2nd edition of the Encyclopaedia of Cretinism. Other examples to include the 100k bitcoin.

Comment

A 23 year low was an obvious short?
                  Well, firstly Centrica were hit badly by the energy price cap and falling gas prices.

British Gas owner Centrica hit by energy price cap - BBC News

Beginning of this month they cancel the final dividend to be paid in 2020

Dividends | Centrica plc

Comment

I don't use stop losses. I'm either right or I'm wrong. I control risk by limiting the portfolio exposure to a particular asset class. Diversification.
                    How does that compute with your statement above: Remember this is a technical trade, not a long term hold"

So, you'll never sell if stays below your buying price of 36? Since you don't have a stop-loss in mind, do you put a time-limit on when you'll bail if it continues to fall?

If not, it sounds like this is a long term trade unless you make a profit. Or is a trade at this level a punt for you?

PS. You say this is a technical trade, so surely it's not you thats right or wrong, but the chart? Or are you now admiting it is your interpretation of the chart that drives your trading, and your regular posts of "the chart tells us this" are no more or less than your opinion, the same as anyone else.
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 14 April 2020, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      We’ll stick it the preamble to the 2nd edition of the Encyclopaedia of Cretinism. Other examples to include the 100k bitcoin.

Keep up... past 100k ages ago. Almost $2.5m

Comment

Working...
                      X