More political correctness - blackberry allergies
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning

    saptastic 's job has never been outsourced

    saptastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sixth Form
    Posts
    972
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    42
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    131

    Default More political correctness - blackberry allergies

    Peter Rabbit film producers apologise over allergy scene - BBC News

    The makers of the new film Peter Rabbit have apologised after facing a backlash over their depiction of a character's allergy.
    A scene in the film shows a character who suffers a blackberry allergy being pelted with them by a gang of bunnies.
    In a joint statement, Sony Pictures and the filmmakers said they "should not have made light" of the issue.
    Campaigners condemned the scene and some Twitter users adopted the hashtag #boycottpeterrabbit.
    The charity Kids with Food Allergies Foundation said in a Facebook post "food allergy 'jokes' are harmful to our community".
    A petition calling on Sony Pictures to apologise also attracted thousands of signatures

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Dark Black is NOT a disguised employee

    Dark Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    the post-apocalyptic wasteland
    Posts
    1,089
    Thanks (Given)
    636
    Thanks (Received)
    135
    Likes (Given)
    2765
    Likes (Received)
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saptastic View Post
    Peter Rabbit film producers apologise over allergy scene - BBC News

    The makers of the new film Peter Rabbit have apologised after facing a backlash over their depiction of a character's allergy.
    A scene in the film shows a character who suffers a blackberry allergy being pelted with them by a gang of bunnies.
    In a joint statement, Sony Pictures and the filmmakers said they "should not have made light" of the issue.
    Campaigners condemned the scene and some Twitter users adopted the hashtag #boycottpeterrabbit.
    The charity Kids with Food Allergies Foundation said in a Facebook post "food allergy 'jokes' are harmful to our community".
    A petition calling on Sony Pictures to apologise also attracted thousands of signatures
    Pathetic, the World's gone mad.

    It's all down to social media
    Do what thou wilt

  3. #3

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    28,053
    Thanks (Given)
    3873
    Thanks (Received)
    5797
    Likes (Given)
    4517
    Likes (Received)
    7143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
    Pathetic, the World's gone mad.

    It's all down to social media
    Indeed. The Curse of the Easily-Offended spreads its dreary tentacles ever further.

    “Some people are like clouds. When they go away it is a brighter day!"

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    31,812
    Thanks (Given)
    127
    Thanks (Received)
    389
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    1350

    Default

    I thought it seemed crazy but on closer reading:

    - It's the hero who is deliberately firing the berries, not the baddies
    - the victim has a serious reaction and has to use their epi-pen

    All seems very weird for a Peter Rabbit - epi-pen FFS?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  5. #5

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    28,053
    Thanks (Given)
    3873
    Thanks (Received)
    5797
    Likes (Given)
    4517
    Likes (Received)
    7143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought it seemed crazy but on closer reading:

    - It's the hero who is deliberately firing the berries, not the baddies
    - the victim has a serious reaction and has to use their epi-pen

    All seems very weird for a Peter Rabbit - epi-pen FFS?
    Biological warfare hits the British countryside. What next? Peter Rabbit with a man-bun drinking a Latte?

    “Some people are like clouds. When they go away it is a brighter day!"

  6. #6

    Double Godlike!

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,261
    Thanks (Given)
    28
    Thanks (Received)
    406
    Likes (Given)
    103
    Likes (Received)
    1618

    Default

    I was thinking about this last night and think i have found the problem.

    Kids nowadays are bought up to make sure they are a voice for 'those who cannot be heard'.

    Thus obviously why you see people getting offended about things which do not affect them - they are assuming they have a privilege to speak out for these people - as obviously these people cannot do it themselves or they would be doing - with me so far?

    So has anyone who has a blackberry allergy actually got upset about this?

    No - it is simply people who feel that if they had a blackberry allergy they would be offended by this.

    but here's the kicker and the bit we need to work on.

    We need to teach our kids that if someone does not speak out - you do not have a right to do it for them because for all you know they are not speaking out because they could not give a fook.

    And therefore before you got offended you need to obtain written permission from the group you are being offended on behalf of before you can get on your twitter rant.

    Think it should work well.

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt - scorchio!

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    14,624
    Thanks (Given)
    40
    Thanks (Received)
    397
    Likes (Given)
    212
    Likes (Received)
    1504

    Default

    Presumably the kids will also grow up believing that rabbits talk

    Pants are no good unless they stick to the wall after you've taken them off.

  8. #8

    Super poster

    meridian 's job has never been outsourced

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,168
    Thanks (Given)
    22
    Thanks (Received)
    92
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    I was thinking about this last night and think i have found the problem.

    Kids nowadays are bought up to make sure they are a voice for 'those who cannot be heard'.

    Thus obviously why you see people getting offended about things which do not affect them - they are assuming they have a privilege to speak out for these people - as obviously these people cannot do it themselves or they would be doing - with me so far?

    So has anyone who has a blackberry allergy actually got upset about this?

    No - it is simply people who feel that if they had a blackberry allergy they would be offended by this.

    but here's the kicker and the bit we need to work on.

    We need to teach our kids that if someone does not speak out - you do not have a right to do it for them because for all you know they are not speaking out because they could not give a fook.

    And therefore before you got offended you need to obtain written permission from the group you are being offended on behalf of before you can get on your twitter rant.

    Think it should work well.
    Ah, the old “kids should be seen and not heard”.

    Go back to the 1950’s, granddad, and take your birch stick with you.


    (First they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up because I was not a Jew... )

  9. #9

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,602
    Thanks (Given)
    643
    Thanks (Received)
    298
    Likes (Given)
    2731
    Likes (Received)
    1236

    Default More political correctness - blackberry allergies

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Ah, the old “kids should be seen and not heard”.

    Go back to the 1950’s, granddad, and take your birch stick with you.


    (First they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up because I was not a Jew... )
    First they came for the socialists ;-)

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,261
    Thanks (Given)
    28
    Thanks (Received)
    406
    Likes (Given)
    103
    Likes (Received)
    1618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Ah, the old “kids should be seen and not heard”.

    Go back to the 1950’s, granddad, and take your birch stick with you.


    (First they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up because I was not a Jew... )
    No - I did not say do not speak up

    I said make sure you get permission from those you are speaking on behalf of.

    In other words before you assume to be in a position to speak on my behalf check your privileges.

    So you need to get back to last year as we are now in this year and things have changed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.