• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greedy boomers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    Utter nonsense.
    You, OwlTooty and Xogothicarchitecture are ripe pickings for the various FakeNews outlets, as you try to construct an obscure picture of the world based on gossip and your own imaginings.

Their constant drivel is only indicative of a lack of robust character. These idiots read panicked attention clickbait headlines, can barely even recall the genuine figures and then take the time to reference them forevermore. I'm surprised it's directly combatted so infrequently throughout this forum.

"Half your savings are being taken!" versus the true minimal figure of 6.75% or 9.9%:

"People with less than 100,000 euros in their accounts will have to pay a one-time tax of 6.75%, Eurozone officials said, while those with greater sums will lose 9.9%."
    Were you drunk when you wrote this? Or are you another Corbynista who tries to shout people down with insults? Attacking people's character, calling them idiots, a bit OTT over a misremembered detail. And why you're having a pop at OwlTooty and Xogothicarchitecture is beyond me.

If you bothered to read it, no-one said 'half your savings.' What I said was "I think it was Greece or Cyprus a couple of years ago: the government just took half of everything over 85K that people had in the bank". So don't tell lies about what people have said (or is this fake news you are shovelling?)

You say 9.9% of everything if they have over 100K. I said "half of everything over 85K." They can be exactly the same thing (do the maths). It's probably these cases that I recalled. And your scenario is even worse than the one I painted - even the poorer folk got shafted with the 6.75% raid!

You just carry on insulting people who disagree with you. I maintain that Corbyn will take this country into a world of financial pain and I don't intend to let it happen to me. I'm shipping my cash abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      greedy
      ˈɡriːdi/Submit
      adjective
      having an excessive desire or appetite for food.
      "he's scoffed the lot, the greedy pig"
      synonyms:gluttonous, ravenous, ravening, voracious, gourmandizing, gourmand, intemperate, self-indulgent, insatiable, insatiate, wolfish, gannet-like; More
      having or showing an intense and selfish desire for wealth or power.
      "people driven from their land by greedy developers"
      synonyms:avaricious, acquisitive, covetous, rapacious, grasping, venal, cupidinous, materialistic, mercenary, predatory, usurious, possessive; More
      The Most Generous Generation

Boomers give more total dollars to charity than any other generation, roughly $47 billion a year, according to The Next Generation of American Giving report by nonprofit consultants Convio and Sea Change Strategies and Edge Research, a market research firm. Although boomers head up 38 percent of U.S. households, they're responsible for 50.3 percent of all charitable contributions.

(MORE: How to Check Out a Charity Before You Give)

Philanthropic experts expect this generation's capacity for giving to increase over time, partly because of an estimated $27 trillion in inheritances they and their offspring could see over the next four decades, according to The Wall Street Journal.

“Boomers will receive the greatest wealth transfer in history, but a substantially larger transfer of wealth will be given by them than was given to them,” says Schervish. “I’m optimistic.”
      HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

More wise words from Paxman;

Ban the spoilt elderly from voting says Jeremy Paxman

http://dailym.ai/2nSEuPy
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

More wise words from Paxman;

Ban the spoilt elderly from voting says token BBC luvvie who pretends to be a rebel but isn't really and who'll never have to worry about money or influence.

Ban the spoilt elderly from voting says Jeremy Paxman | Daily Mail Online
          FTFY
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            HTH

Nice quote talking about American boomers.

Here’s a quote from the UK’s Chartered Institute of Housing;

Levels of homeownership are collapsing among young people but increasing among older people. In England, 66.5% of 25-34 year olds were homeowners in 1991 – a figure that dropped to 36% in 2013-14. Over the same period, the percentage of 65-74 year olds that own their own home has risen from 62.3% to 77.1%.

There is also an extraordinary gap between homeownership rates for different groups of people. Across Great Britain, lone parents or single people under pension age are least likely to own a home, while more than 80% of couples with no dependent children or over pension age are homeowners.

Rising house prices mean that net housing wealth in the UK has grown by £1.22 trillion (58 per cent) since 2003 – and more than a third of property-based wealth is held by households where the household reference person is 65 or older. This increase in wealth for older people has fuelled the growth of the buy-to-let market – with older households looking to supplement their pension income by buying more property, aided by access to interest-only mortgages which are denied to most first-time buyers.

This is creating a perfect storm, with older and already privileged homeowners buying more homes to rent out to those who are unable to compete in the housing market. In 2013-14 almost half (48%) of all households aged 25-34 in England were living in private rented homes – a proportion that has more than doubled from 21% in 2003-4. The trend looks set to continue, with some 1.5 million extra people aged 30 or under ‘pushed into renting’ by 2020.

Comment

Levels of homeownership are collapsing among young people but increasing among older people. In England, 66.5% of 25-34 year olds were homeowners in 1991 – a figure that dropped to 36% in 2013-14. Over the same period, the percentage of 65-74 year olds that own their own home has risen from 62.3% to 77.1%.

There is also an extraordinary gap between homeownership rates for different groups of people. Across Great Britain, lone parents or single people under pension age are least likely to own a home, while more than 80% of couples with no dependent children or over pension age are homeowners.

Rising house prices mean that net housing wealth in the UK has grown by £1.22 trillion (58 per cent) since 2003 – and more than a third of property-based wealth is held by households where the household reference person is 65 or older. This increase in wealth for older people has fuelled the growth of the buy-to-let market – with older households looking to supplement their pension income by buying more property, aided by access to interest-only mortgages which are denied to most first-time buyers.

This is creating a perfect storm, with older and already privileged homeowners buying more homes to rent out to those who are unable to compete in the housing market. In 2013-14 almost half (48%) of all households aged 25-34 in England were living in private rented homes – a proportion that has more than doubled from 21% in 2003-4. The trend looks set to continue, with some 1.5 million extra people aged 30 or under ‘pushed into renting’ by 2020.

Housing news
              The simple fact of the matter is if you want to own your own home early on in life you need to
              1) Work hard at school, get decent qualifications
              2) get a job
              3) Make sacrifices to save up for a deposit
              4) buy a house

So yes unsurprisingly getting pregnant at 16 and then not working a day in your life may mean that you will never own you own home. Who would have though that?

I think the actual problem is snowflakes and millennials feel they are entitled to a house and all the other luxuries modern life has to offer - wake up call you are not.

Until I start seeing millennials without iPhone's, golf's on personal contract hire, stupid expensive beards and haircuts, 100 dollar trainers, 2 grand mac books, 4 quids worth of mochachocochino then I simply will not give a fook about their whinging tulip

Comment

Housing news
                well if you vote for unlimited immigration and fail to push the government to build sufficient houses etc what do you expect. Don't blame it on me! My house goes up in value every day while you lot pay rent to astute investors.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  The simple fact of the matter is if you want to own your own home early on in life you need to
                  2) get a job
                  4) buy a house

So yes unsurprisingly getting pregnant at 16 and then not working a day in your life may mean that you will never own you own home. Who would have though that?

I think the actual problem is snowflakes and millennials feel they are entitled to a house and all the other luxuries modern life has to offer - wake up call you are not.

Until I start seeing millennials without iPhone's, golf's on personal contract hire, stupid expensive beards and haircuts, 100 dollar trainers, 2 grand mac books, 4 quids worth of mochachocochino then I simply will not give a fook about their whinging tulip
                  Grandad, in your day, how did the average house price compare with the average salary?
                  Average first-time buyer needs £41,000 salary - Telegraph

The snowflake generation who have taking every penny they can, then whinge at people under 60 who are working hard, they are the ones who own the property and have no interest in the future of the country or their children's generation.
                  They are the ones who didn't bring their kids up well and now complain that their kids are useless.
                  You reap what you sow.

Don't like how the under 40s act today? Maybe the elderly should have been marginally less self centred when they were that age and done something to help their kids, rather than just throwing toys at them, and making them believe that having more toys is the solution to the problem.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    2) get a job
                    4) buy a house

unfortunately I have to sympathise with them. Average wage is £30k around here, three times that wouldn't buy you a studio flat.

Build more houses, have fewer people wanting them is the only cure.

damn foxy beat me to it
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      well if you vote for unlimited immigration and fail to push the government to build sufficient houses etc what do you expect. Don't blame it on me! My house goes up in value every day while you lot pay rent to astute investors.
                      It was all Old Tory men's fault though....

or it was actually probably Blair and his magic money tree to fund the war in Iraq whilst simultaneously opening the door to 10000000 of migrants, giving them money from the magic money tree to ensure they voted labour.......

or something similar anyway....

Comment

Working...
                      X