• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone NOT got private health insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here in Ireland most people (ie all) have private health (Laya being one) despite having a sort of NHS (HSE).

So you get to pay PRSI (sort of NI), USC (tax charge to pay for 2008 crash I think) and private premiums. And 60 Euro per GP visit.

Everyone in the office here is gobsmacked cos I made all my GP appoinments back home over Xmas, three visits, cost - nowt. 180 Euro here...

Think there's a lesson to be learnt, the more people go private the less the gov. will do about public health, but they still keep the money. It's already a two-class system here, homeless, scummers, spongers and people from Tallaght go via HSE, anyone with a job has private so goes there.

Comment

I wonder what Nye Bevin would think about the NHS now?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Though I thought you were treated at the monkey sanctuary?
        Twycross Zoo is private

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I wonder what Nye Bevin would think about the NHS now?
          It's 'Bevan' actually!

Maybe thinking of Ernest Bevin - the Bevin Boys?

Who was the one blown up at the Houses of Parliament by IRA car bomb?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            It's 'Bevan' actually!

Maybe thinking of Ernest Bevin - the Bevin Boys?

Who was the one blown up at the Houses of Parliament by IRA car bomb?
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airey_Neave
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
              Why do the Govt make private health insurance a BIK? Surely if they incentivised private healthcare - it would mean less strain (even if only very limited) on the NHS.
              Same for private education. The government should be very thankful.

Comment

Daughter got referral last month from GP to see pediatrician in NHS hospital. Wait time 3 months, called private hospital, could have appointment next day.

Comment

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...alth-treatment

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Daughter got referral last month from GP to see pediatrician in NHS hospital. Wait time 3 months, called private hospital, could have appointment next day.
                    How quick you get seen depends on what you have, what hospital you are referred to and how stretched the speciality you are seeing is.

Paediatrics is stretched. The people I know who work in it have lots of vacancies which the trusts cannot afford to fill so they are suppose to more appointments per day. It also doesn't help that the doctors tend to work part-time for a mixture of reasons.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      How quick you get seen depends on what you have, what hospital you are referred to and how stretched the speciality you are seeing is.

Paediatrics is stretched. The people I know who work in it have lots of vacancies which the trusts cannot afford to fill so they are suppose to more appointments per day. It also doesn't help that the doctors tend to work part-time for a mixture of reasons.
                      My surgery in UK has 11,000 patrons and had 5 docs, one is serious ill and two have left, so two docs for 11,000 folks. They say they've tried home and abroad but nowt.

Seems to run ok, I always get seen reasonably quickly...

Comment

Working...
                      X