• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official Contractor UK Budget Thread 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guvernator View Post
    For now at least but I see it as a reprieve of sentence rather than an outright victory. Like a dog with a bone I very much doubt they will let this go and will probably be back for another bite next budget.
    So who got whacked to pay for all of the nice stuff?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I believe the section you are looking for is section 2.21

Innocent little paragraph isn’t it?

Comment

It may well just be a stay if execution as said, but still much better then it could have been so pleased for now. As some have said lots of private sector business will not want this either so it's not necessarily as straight forward as it seems. Fingers crossed :-)

Comment

What an anti-climax - Oh well, back to speculating on alt coins
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            So, basically, an IR35 consultation, as expected, but it is worded cautiously.

Sounds like the press coverage and industry pushback had an influence here.
            They no longer have the element of surprise, which appeared to be their main strategy for the public sector. The private sector will be able to put more resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              I believe the section you are looking for is section 2.21

Innocent little paragraph isn’t it?
              2.21?
              https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...t_2017_web.pdf
              I don't see it here. Am I going stupid?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by caigab View Post
                It may well just be a stay if execution as said, but still much better then it could have been so pleased for now. As some have said lots of private sector business will not want this either so it's not necessarily as straight forward as it seems. Fingers crossed :-)
                It's still an uphill fight, but the first hurdle has been crossed. Good stuff - definitely much more toned down than was threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Stay of execution then. They'll be lots of consultation meetings, lots of note taking and nodding of heads.

Then they'll ignore the common sense approach, two fingers to everyone and full steam ahead, IR35 in private sector for April 2020.

qh
                  That's the usual pattern, but remember this gov't is very weak. Ordinarily, they wouldn't have thought twice about rolling this out (at the current stage in the electoral cycle) but HMG is fatally weak, and the industry pushback/coverage was strong. The consultation is another opportunity to trash the story coming from HMRC w/r to minimal impact, so I wouldn't say the outcome is a foregone conclusion just yet, although reform is inevitable in the long run. I thought there would be a much stronger nod to the rollout in ~2019, but there wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    More regular than annually?
                    Annually looks okay for another, erm.. six months.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      You are if you move from rented accommodation to one you’ve bought.
                      Is that correct?
                      What if you owned a house in the past. sold it and was in rented?
                      What would stop someone selling their house and then renting for 6months. So to save paying stamp duty
                      What is the correct definition of a first time buyer.

Comment

Working...
                      X