• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

chancellor-will-create-crisis-self-employed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Credit where it's due w/r to press coverage. I've seen these and related articles come across a lot of feeds that are viewed by exactly the right people. The message is definitely reaching the right places. Whether or not they're listening is another matter but, as I say, credit where it's due, as the breadth and reach of coverage from IPSE has been excellent in recent weeks/months.
    I'd love to take some credit, but it's entirely down to the brilliant press and PR team. Great job.

Comment

Excellent tactic, linking the VAT threshold drop and IR35 cock-up and tying them together. Well done.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Credit where it's due w/r to press coverage. I've seen these and related articles come across a lot of feeds that are viewed by exactly the right people. The message is definitely reaching the right places. Whether or not they're listening is another matter but, as I say, credit where it's due, as the breadth and reach of coverage from IPSE has been excellent in recent weeks/months.
        The way they've put the VAT threshold changes together with the proposed IR35 changes has definitely helped us I think.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
          The way they've put the VAT threshold changes together with the proposed IR35 changes has definitely helped us I think.
          Agreed, although the VAT change itself might’ve been a tactic to focus ire. It was convenient, given the OTS recommendation, but I never thought that change likely in the current circumstances, and many Tory MPs explicitly said so. Either way, IPSE did a good job with their press coverage.

Comment

I sent IPSE that quote Hammond quote from 2001 a couple of weeks ago. My thinking is, we have not changed our way of working. If he thought IR35 was wrong then, either he didn't understand it then or he doesn't understand it now. He can't have it both ways.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Good job to everyone who took part in the campaign, wrote to MPs, tweeted, shared, facebooked, and linkedin, commented on articles, and made a general nuisance of yourself. There's no doubt at all that this is a greatly toned down version from what was anticipated. Well done, all.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Good job to everyone who took part in the campaign, wrote to MPs, tweeted, shared, facebooked, and linkedin, commented on articles, and made a general nuisance of yourself. There's no doubt at all that this is a greatly toned down version from what was anticipated. Well done, all.
                Next stage - ensure that the consultation shows what a risk it poses to the UK economy (i.e. his tax revenues) and the damage it has done to the ability to execute in the public sector.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Next stage - ensure that the consultation shows what a risk it poses to the UK economy (i.e. his tax revenues) and the damage it has done to the ability to execute in the public sector.
                  The issue is people using the PSCompany model has extended to places it never really should. Are we exploited via our PSCs? Most here would surely say a resounding 'no' to that question.

Is a CitiLink delivery driver exploited*? I would say: absolutely yes. Bad pay and conditions together, work until you drop, no sickness benefits. We can work from home or hotel if seriously unwell and be productive. The graph of the last 15 years displaying the increase in 'freelancing' when, in reality, it is actually a very small increase in the majority field (IT Consulting/Contractoring in tractors) and a very large increase in companies using cartel tactics to force, for example, delivery drivers to ensure they have no alternative form of employment within their industry.

*Some drivers are forced down the true self-employed route, some through PSCs - there are mixed reports on the true end jobs of the individuals that are causing the 'freelancing' graph to swell so rapidly since 2009
                  Last edited by contractorinatractor; 23 November 2017, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                    The issue is people using the PSCompany model has extended to places it never really should. Are we exploited via our PSCs? Most here would surely say a resounding 'no' to that question.

Is a CitiLink delivery driver exploited*? I would say: absolutely yes. Bad pay and conditions together, work until you drop, no sickness benefits. We can work from home or hotel if seriously unwell and be productive. The graph of the last 15 years displaying the increase in 'freelancing' when, in reality, it is actually a very small increase in the majority field (IT Consulting/Contractoring in tractors) and a very large increase in companies using cartel tactics to force, for example, delivery drivers to ensure they have no alternative form of employment within their industry.

*Some drivers are forced down the true self-employed route, some through PSCs - there are mixed reports on the true end jobs of the individuals that are causing the 'freelancing' graph to swell so rapidly since 2009
                    CityLink went bust. You are now talking about Hermes, DPD and other couriers plus companies like Pimilico Plumbers. As far as I'm concerned anyone who wears or drives around in another company's logoed kit is not self-employed.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We need some way of showing them how many votes this will cost them. The total number of Tory voters who will not be voting tory due to this. They don't have a majority so it wouldn't take a lot of Tory MP's to not support it. It would need the help of Labour to get it through. So that would be a Tory Chancellor attacking the core Tory vote and only extending a Labour introduced bit of legislation with the support of Labour MP's. A bit of legislation that our turncoat chancellor is on record attacking IR35 when it was tory policy to oppose it.

We also need to attack the myth where a contractor earning 100k should pay the same taxes as an employee earning 100k. He conveniently misses out that the employer will stump up the Employers NI and pension contributions for the employee, over and above their 100k salary while the contractor pays it out of theirs. The comparison should be how much tax dos a contractor pay compared to an employee when both have the same costs to employ of 100k. I'd say that the amounts of tax paid are broadly the same.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X