• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

November Budget - Stop Public sector IR35 rules coming into the Private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the budget lowers the VAT threshhold, what's to prevent contractors simply setting up a second company, or as many as it takes, to invoice through each equally throughout the year to keep the total of each below the VAT threshold?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      If the budget lowers the VAT threshhold, what's to prevent contractors simply setting up a second company, or as many as it takes, to invoice through each equally throughout the year to keep the total of each below the VAT threshold?
      Connected companies? GAAR?

I doubt they'd put VAT threshold down.

Another pension raid more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Artificial separation of trade

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ractice-4-1983

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
          IPSE published a list of 90 Tory MPs who currently hold seats that contain sufficient self-employed to overturn their majorities; IPSE should be contesting this a lot more aggressively viz: publish this the list of 90 MPs on order-order.com as a follow up the previous IPSE sponsored article; make clear that full taxation (inside IR35) without full holiday and sick permanent employee equivalence will be contested in court (as a minimum it's pure discrimination). I want to see NHS/HMRC defend having locum doctors first all declared inside IRA35 then NOT.

Ultimately you are only going to kill-off IR35 by getting a statutory definition of self-employment, get rid of all the subjective bulltulip.
          My MP has a very safe seat hence not on that list. I did write to her and have had a response.

Comment

Originally posted by poorautojobber View Post
            My MP has a very safe seat hence not on that list. I did write to her and have had a response.
            She needs to pass your letter on to the Treasury. Request she does so if she hasn't said she will asap.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              She needs to pass your letter on to the Treasury. Request she does so if she hasn't said she will asap.
              She tweets about once twice a week the day after the letter arrived at home she tweeted a pic sitting in a meeting with Hammond!

My prediction is screw the PSC by creating uncertainty over their tax position. Leave VAT alone.

Comment

Originally posted by poorautojobber View Post
                She tweets about once twice a week the day after the letter arrived at home she tweeted a pic sitting in a meeting with Hammond!
                Oh good that may cause a dramatic swing against her in the next GE - it does happen.

Comment

Plenty of "good" BOS candidates at my Mrs. place.
                  Some of the "best" I have seen

"Contractors" still 7-8 years down the line. Some deeply involved in giving disciplinary and internal company affairs, are "managers" etc.

A few of them are Monday to Friday contractors, some returning as contractor to a previous perm role after a gap of 3 months.

Finally at least 3 of them holding their hands out for compensation as they are now being given the bullet.

You couldn't make it up

And some wonder why we have problems
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    And some wonder why we have problems
                    ^ This. Friend of mine contracts somewhere where they have many contractors, many of whom have been there for 5+ years, all outside IR35. From what he's described they are definitely, 100% inside. Sadly, the actions of people like that ruin it for the legitimate contractors like us, and lead to the extreme measures currently being undertaken by our wonderful government.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Plenty of "good" BOS candidates at my Mrs. place.
                      Some of the "best" I have seen

"Contractors" still 7-8 years down the line. Some deeply involved in giving disciplinary and internal company affairs, are "managers" etc.

A few of them are Monday to Friday contractors, some returning as contractor to a previous perm role after a gap of 3 months.

Finally at least 3 of them holding their hands out for compensation as they are now being given the bullet.

You couldn't make it up
                      You don't need to.

I think I've only been on one client site with such thick people and that was for a blue chip.

On the public sector sites I've been on people have been far more careful except for one feckwit. However even the permies were complaining about his behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                      X