• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

November Budget - Stop Public sector IR35 rules coming into the Private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I didn't talk about new cars. I pointed out how you spent money that was left in your pocket.
    I personally support the principle of having lower income taxes to allow people have disposable income, so that they could decide how to spend or save it.

In this case Treasury (who prefers to grab money that it can) would argue that it's a loophole in the system of already high taxation, so it needs to be dealt with, as otherwise it's not possible to reduce corp tax / dividend tax, which might be necessary after Brexit to keep the investment flowing in.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I personally support the principle of having lower income taxes to allow people have disposable income, so that they could decide how to spend or save it.

In this case Treasury (who prefers to grab money that it can) would argue that it's a loophole in the system of already high taxation, so it needs to be dealt with, as otherwise it's not possible to reduce corp tax / dividend tax, which might be necessary after Brexit to keep the investment flowing in.
      But invest in what? There's no point in building products in a country where most of the population have no disposable income left to spend...

Comment

But invest in what? There's no point in building products in a country where most of the population have no disposable income left to spend...
        They have nothing left to spend because every penny is tied up in expensive housing due to an over valued market in need of correction.

... And so the cycle continues on and on.

Comment

There is a lot of investment in Mexico, which seems to be the role that Britain will be relegated to by them Brexiters...

Comment

Comment

Welcome to pro-business Tory Govt!!!

Comment

So what's the damage control if this happens? Salary sacrifice pension to the max?

In an ideal contractor world we must all ask for a rate rise at the same time - which won't happen as some spud will undercut me and take the tax hit.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
                  So what's the damage control if this happens? Salary sacrifice pension to the max?
                  Damage control is companies doing what some public sector organisations are doing to ensue their contractors are outside IR35 so they can finish off their projects.

The problem the Treasury and HMRC has is that private companies aren't public sector organisations where senior individuals can be bullied into compliance, so more and more will use the loopholes available to ensure they can get contractors.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Damage control is companies doing what some public sector organisations are doing to ensue their contractors are outside IR35 so they can finish off their projects.

The problem the Treasury and HMRC has is that private companies aren't public sector organisations where senior individuals can be bullied into compliance, so more and more will use the loopholes available to ensure they can get contractors.
                    isn't this a little easier in public sector as more roles can be defined as under direction. i.e a nurse is directed to do a task as is a doctor. But a consultant (who are going for a judicial review over this) plans their own work etc. What has been piss poor is the application by scared HR departments.

Not a chance of it being that simple in the private sector they are dreaming. The first day after this comes in every freelancer will get sent home. I'm already lining up someone for some Holiday cover never bothered before just because of the hassle.

certainly no votes from my household for a future conservative gov.

Comment

Originally posted by poorautojobber View Post
                      I think as an estimate just my local village would have 100+ engineering contractors. Would imagine with all the IT guys and other contractors it would be a bit of a hit for my local MP.
                      IPSE published a list of 90 Tory MPs who currently hold seats that contain sufficient self-employed to overturn their majorities; IPSE should be contesting this a lot more aggressively viz: publish this the list of 90 MPs on order-order.com as a follow up the previous IPSE sponsored article; make clear that full taxation (inside IR35) without full holiday and sick permanent employee equivalence will be contested in court (as a minimum it's pure discrimination). I want to see NHS/HMRC defend having locum doctors first all declared inside IRA35 then NOT.

Ultimately you are only going to kill-off IR35 by getting a statutory definition of self-employment, get rid of all the subjective bulltulip.

Comment

Working...
                      X