• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway driving explained

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Logic would dictate that there are at least 24 motorways other than the M25. Maybe we're all going a bit further afield than the suburban ring road that so obsesses the small proportion of the population that live within its ambit?

Yes, I know road numbering isn't logical, don't @ me.
    You know better than to try and get away with that.

It might not be to everybody's taste, but the subject of road numbering in Britain is surprisingly interesting. No, really! This section explores the alphanumeric designations of Great Britain's roads in detail, covering the way the separate numbering systems work for all-purpose roads and for motorways, how the system was created in the early twentieth century, and some of its curiosities.
    Road Numbers | CBRD

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
      You know better than to try and get away with that.

It might not be to everybody's taste, but the subject of road numbering in Britain is surprisingly interesting. No, really! This section explores the alphanumeric designations of Great Britain's roads in detail, covering the way the separate numbering systems work for all-purpose roads and for motorways, how the system was created in the early twentieth century, and some of its curiosities.
      Road Numbers | CBRD

KUATB

Originally posted by stek View Post
      That's where ya wrong!

British Roads FAQ | CBRD

Warning: if you go on that site, kiss goodbye to any work this afternoon, it's the go-to place for anyone interested in Motorways, A-roads, B-roads, and yes, they exist, C-roads.....

There's also a page on interesting junctions....
      I know the site well, and submit a road less than a mile from where I am currently typing this, yet also 228 miles away, as evidence that the system is not logical: Oddities and anomalies | CBRD

Comment

KUATB
        Sorry, I'm stuck in the slow lane today.

I accept my status.
        England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          If they don't clock you coming into and out of service stations, you just stop for a pot of tea or coffee and get a bit of billable work or business development done. Then off you go again. If that's your thing.
          Yes MF said trade was brisk at Watford gap.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            You know where.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              i remember watford gap from a loong time ago. bands on the road, and bikers.
              oh, and honest long distance drivers looking on in disbelief

Comment

ANPR cameras aren't licensed for average speed calculations. It'll take the powers that be fifteen to twenty years just to make all the existing regulations that are in some way affected by the EU Brexit-compatible, so it's unlikely that situation will change for at least a quarter of a century.
                They are not using ANPR if you look closely to the left of the gantry signs they are bolting old fashioned average speed cans on them. They are even bright yellow. They are all over the top section of the M25 and starting to appear else where

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  You know where.
                  nope, I met him when he was begging outside Zizzis.

What that man does to support the fiction he is an international pole choker....

respect!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    It's gentlemanly to maintain a safe separation, and wait until the car in front has completed his overtaking manoeuvre. I'm not going to get out of the way any more quickly.

In my experience, there's plenty of impatient drivers with smaller, less powerful cars as well as lane hoggers with large powerful cars. I think we can all agree that for the most parts, all other road users are idiots.
                    Totally agree - there are plenty oiks in 10 year old Corsas and Puntos trying to make it in the fast lane skiddering all over the place that is the real danger. Overtaking in my Alfa on D mode is a very liberating feeling - 0-60 in just 6 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                      Totally agree - there are plenty oiks in 10 year old Corsas and Puntos trying to make it in the fast lane skiddering all over the place that is the real danger. Overtaking in my Alfa on D mode is a very liberating feeling - 0-60 in just 6 seconds
                      That's slloowwww. Anyway you shouldn't be doing 0mph on a motorway.

Comment

Working...
                      X