• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halal tulipe food

Kid works hard at 11+ and goes to a good local grammar school. At lunch they only serve halal meat.
    And just found out that when my mum was in a local hospital here, again they only served halal meat.

What the f**ks the deal here?

I'm all for integration and equality but this just smacks of political correction gone wrong and of utter madness.

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Kid works hard at 11+ and goes to a good local grammar school. At lunch they only serve halal meat.
    And just found out that when my mum was in a local hospital here, again they only served halal meat.

What the f**ks the deal here?

I'm all for integration and equality but this just smacks of political correction gone wrong and of utter madness.
    What is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      What is the problem?
      I can see three things:

1) There is no need to to invoke a sky fairy when slaughtering food.
      2) If you belive in Sky Fairy A, then you probably won't be happy that Sky Fairy B has been invoked during the provision of your food.
      3) Halal probably isn't necessarily the most humane way to slaughter.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig either way, although I have noticed in a local meat cash 'n' carry that non halal is explicitly marked as such, and it's marginally cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
        I can see three things:

1) There is no need to to invoke a sky fairy when slaughtering food.
        2) If you belive in Sky Fairy A, then you probably won't be happy that Sky Fairy B has been invoked during the provision of your food.
        3) Halal probably isn't necessarily the most humane way to slaughter.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig either way, although I have noticed in a local meat cash 'n' carry that non halal is explicitly marked as such, and it's marginally cheaper.
        There is no need to slaughter animals for food. If you are going to get on an ethical high horse about it, become a vegetarian.

Comment

I'm not particularly a fan of the rituals surrounding halal - and I'm really no fan of any religion - but ultimately it's an easy way to cater to all.

So long as the meat is stunned first, whatever really.

but this just smacks of political correction gone wrong and of utter madness.
          Did you confuse the forum with the Daily Mail comments section perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            What is the problem?
            The problem is a restriction of choice. Why, in this country, should schoolkids be given a choice of only halal meat?

I don't want my kids eating meat that has had its neck slashed and blood drained out while it's still alive whilst praying to a specific religious cause.

If you want to be equal then you should offer both halal and non-halal (i.e. humanely slaughtered) meat. If due to budget or other limitations you can only offer one type, then it should be non-halal: yes there are a high % of muslims in the area/school but nowhere near 50% i.e. what about the majority?

Just utter fricking madness.
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 20 September 2017, 18:56.

Comment

Comment

I tend to go selectively vegetarian in places where the only meat option is halal. Some places try to cater to everyone by having a halal and non-halal option (halal bacon and non-halal chicken for example).

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  The problem is a restriction of choice. Why, in this country, should schoolkids be given a choice of only halal meat?

I don't want my kids eating meat that has had its neck slashed and blood drained out while it's still alive whilst praying to a specific religious cause.

If you want to be equal then you should offer both halal and non-halal (i.e. humanely slaughtered) meat. If due to budget or other limitations you can only offer one type, then it should be non-halal: yes there are a high % of muslims in the area/school but nowhere near 50% i.e. what about the majority?

Just utter fricking madness.
                  Is there a vegetarian option?

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
                    I tend to go selectively vegetarian in places where the only meat option is halal. Some places try to cater to everyone by having a halal and non-halal option (halal bacon and non-halal chicken for example).
                    Halal bacon?

Comment

Working...
                    X