• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you still haven't answered my question about the child's choice.
    You are irrelevant. I will therefore choose to ignore your post.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Quite. Tolerance of other cultures should stop at the inhumane treatment of animals.
      I'm conflicted on this one, but I think banning (for example) kosher slaughter, would not be good, when there are so many more inhumane practices in the supply chain. From the grauniad:

The year 2012 marked a leap forward for animal welfare in the European Union. Farmers were no longer allowed to keep egg-laying hens in barren battery cages smaller than an A4 sheet of paper. Instead, the minimum requirement now is that hens are kept in a cage the size of an A4 sheet of paper, with an extra postcard-sized bit of shared space that allows them to scratch and nest. These are known as enriched cages.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        I'm conflicted on this one, but I think banning (for example) kosher slaughter, would not be good, when there are so many more inhumane practices in the supply chain. From the grauniad:
        Ignore one because others are equally unsavoury or try and sort all?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
          Ignore one because others are equally unsavoury or try and sort all?
          If it was all'being sorted', then I can see that. But the focus on halal slaughter outside of the context of broader and more serious farm animal welfare issues is hardly likely to be motivated by animal welfare concerns, given the current discourse around Muslims.

Comment

Quite. Tolerance of other cultures should stop at the inhumane treatment of animals.
            Quite agree. Harmless cultural practices are fine, too much fuss over the Muslim veil IMO, but some things are not acceptable and religion should not be a getout. Non religious people may be equally convinced that their practices are right but they are not handed these exceptions.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If it was all'being sorted', then I can see that. But the focus on halal slaughter outside of the context of broader and more serious farm animal welfare issues is hardly likely to be motivated by animal welfare concerns, given the current discourse around Muslims.
              True enough.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

The raising and feeding of animals is an issue that likes to be avoided.
                The rules behind chicken farms - even the ones called “free range”, etc, doesn’t mean that they aren’t pumped full of drugs to keep them laying.
                If you saw what an 18 month old chicken looks like when it leaves a farm, you might be surprised. And it’s nothing to do with religion and everything to do with costs & profits.
                The last 20 seconds of an animal’s life may not be nice, no matter what way it is done, but the few months it gets to live should not be in cramped conditions being fed drugs.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  True enough.
                  There is room for nuance and compromise. The BVA position is iteslf nuanced:

Policy position: non-stun slaughter

Our view is that all animals should be stunned before slaughter. If slaughter without stunning
                  is still to be permitted, then any meat or fish from this source must be clearly labelled. This
                  will enable consumers to fully understand the choice they are making when purchasing such
                  products.

Our concern is for the welfare of those animals that are not stunned. Our concerns have
                  nothing to do with the expression of religious beliefs but with the practice of killing by throatcutting
                  without pre-stunning.

BVA is calling for one clear mandatory EU-wide method of production food labelling system,
                  which should include requirements relating to animal welfare outcome safeguards. We
                  believe that the current voluntary labelling system is confusing for consumers.

Statement on post-cut stunning

Our position on welfare at slaughter is clear but as a result of the current absence of a legal
                  requirement for all animals to be stunned prior to slaughter, a separate stand-alone position
                  statement has been developed on the option of post-cut stunning.

We recognise that while pre-stunning is superior from a welfare point of view, should nonstun
                  slaughter continue to be permitted, post-cut stunning offers a valid means of reducing
                  the suffering of animals at slaughter.
                  Therefore, the option of post-cut stunning is not
                  equivalent to pre-cut stunning but presents a highly desirable refinement if government
                  policy does not change

Where an immediate post-cut stun is applied, we believe that the requirement for
                  sheep/goats to remain stationary for a minimum period of 20 seconds is unnecessary as
                  stunning renders the animal immediately unconscious and insensible to pain.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    The rules behind chicken farms - even the ones called “free range”, etc, doesn’t mean that they aren’t pumped full of drugs to keep them laying.
                    If you saw what an 18 month old chicken looks like when it leaves a farm, you might be surprised. And it’s nothing to do with religion and everything to do with costs & profits.
                    The last 20 seconds of an animal’s life may not be nice, no matter what way it is done, but the few months it gets to live should not be in cramped conditions being fed drugs.
                    Indeed.
                    Unless all the people who profess to be outraged by halal spend extra money on e.g. free-range chickens, eggs and ham from pigs allowed to roam, they're simply being hypocrites, or worse.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Comment

Working...
                      X