• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hipster causes murder on a bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Maybe there should be bicycle training along similar lines of motorcycle training, where you are told to dominate your space to discourage aggressive manoeuvres by others. i.e. ride in the centre of the lane not in the gutter. Less chance of a tipper truck overtaking you to then squash you when you slip up the gutter just as it's about to turn left.

A bit surprising the government, who are always on the lookout for new tax/income streams, haven't introduced a CBT equivalent for cyclists, to ensure competence in cities and dangerous junctions where good roadcraft becomes important (whether the bike is motorised or not), followed up by regular licencing renewals to ensure the photocards are up to date.
    Local councils do do cycling courses for different ages including adults that teach that and other things. (Ask Brillo about fixing punctures )

They aren't mandatory as children are allowed to cycle in the road under the age of criminal responsibility.

Examples around the country - Yorkshire , Bristol, Edinburgh, Essex ...
    Last edited by SueEllen; 18 August 2017, 13:04.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I hope children aren't cycling through rush hour London or other busy cities/towns.

Parental responsibility to ensure the children are road aware before letting them onto busy roads alone may be enough, and should already be happening.

Maybe red route type designation where only adults with established competence are allowed, which would cover the most dangerous areas/routes, would work.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I hope children aren't cycling through rush hour London or other busy cities/towns.

Parental responsibility to ensure the children are road aware before letting them onto busy roads alone may be enough, and should already be happening.

Maybe red route type designation where only adults with established competence are allowed, which would cover the most dangerous areas/routes, would work.
        My biggest problem with that is that it re-affirms the idea that the roads are for the exclusive use of cars. Given that cars have only been around for a minuscule proportion of even Londons history I think they need to be reminded that the roads are for sharing. They're paid for out of the public general taxation pot (Not specially from VED as is often assumed) and should be available for all.

London especially is a city with a huge proportion of pedestrians and cyclists - in fact, I'd suggest cars are the minority in general (How many people do you know that drive to work in The City?) and should be treated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Except one of your usual arguments is about how in a collision a 1 tonne car will only have a dent if a bike hits it, but the cyclist is killed/injured, so the car is always at fault.

So, let's take your above statement and change it, to see if you still agree:
          Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Sorry it took so long, but I knew it was recent:

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
          Hope they have an equal crackdown on the cyclists who brazenly ride on the pavement endangering pedestrians.
          The vast majority of the time cyclists on the pavement do not endanger pedestrians. If a cyclist hits a pedestrian, both get hurt. When a car driver hits a cyclist, only the cyclist gets hurt. The cases where cyclists are killed usually involve cyclists not being aggressive enough.
          Where did I say the car is always at fault?

Feel free to resort to the usual mod tactics of changing my posts, bullying, infraction points or bans.

I am still smarting from getting infraction points for a perfectly reasonable comment last October. Other people made nasty comments which deserved infraction points, however I just got lumped in with the rest. I PMed the mod concerned - I never got a reply.

I think I am going to ask for a refund on my membership fees. Or at least a discount on the amount I need to pay to get poster of the year.....

Comment

Maybe there should be bicycle training along similar lines of motorcycle training, where you are told to dominate your space to discourage aggressive manoeuvres by others. i.e. ride in the centre of the lane not in the gutter. Less chance of a tipper truck overtaking you to then squash you when you slip up the gutter just as it's about to turn left.

A bit surprising the government, who are always on the lookout for new tax/income streams, haven't introduced a CBT equivalent for cyclists, to ensure competence in cities and dangerous junctions where good roadcraft becomes important (whether the bike is motorised or not), followed up by regular licencing renewals to ensure the photocards are up to date.

This guy was obviously taking that aggressive stance too far by having a bike with improper braking and relying on shouts to clear the way. i.e. no intention of slowing down or stopping if he felt he had right of way.
            There are adverts on the back of buses encouraging this. However I never do it - it makes car drivers very aggressive.

It would help if the police knew the law: -
            Watch: Cyclist stopped by police officer over disagreement on road positioning (video) - Cycling Weekly

Comment

They never do. Mostly parents drive small child to school in back of large 4WD. And then attempt to run over any pedestrians, even if they have children.

I once saw a lady cycling in London with a trailer with a child in - I thought it was incredibly brave.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                They never do. Mostly parents drive small child to school in back of large 4WD. And then attempt to run over any pedestrians, even if they have children.

I once saw a lady cycling in London with a trailer with a child in - I thought it was incredibly brave.
                It's not brave.

Like me cycling in a skirt and/or wearing pink vehicle drivers will do everything in their power not to run you down and will give you more room. No driver wants on their conscience they ran down a mother and her kid.

I complained to family and friends that I noticed I was treated differently on the road if I wore a yellow cycling jacket and trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It's not brave.

I complained to family and friends that I noticed I was treated differently on the road if I wore a yellow cycling jacket and trousers.
                  that's because the car driver is temporarily blinded by the hi-vis. Either that or is a fashion comment !
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

NEVER don the YJA....just....don't.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      that's because the car driver is temporarily blinded by the hi-vis. Either that or is a fashion comment !
                      The pink is hi-viz as well.

And I've been informed it is as equally as bright as the yellow.

Comment

Working...
                      X