• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU states could refuse to approve a trade deal with the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Which goods would we have trouble sourcing? Anything the rest of the world couldn't supply?
    Sure - China maybe? Only they've had difficulty producing a biro that's reliable, so not sure they could meet the super high British Standards.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
    Roquefort ?
    Red Leicester a much better British alternative.
    I would have thought Blue Stilton would be the alternative to Roquefort. Red Leicester instead of Gruyère perhaps?

Stilton is one of the few British cheeses that is reasonably easy to find in Germany and Switzerland. But Johnny-Continental still generally think the only British cheese is plastic cheddar. (As opposed to proper yummy cheddar). There are many Swiss and French cheeses of course, but none of them are as good as British cheeses. I believe in cheeses.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      wibble
      Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      wibble.
      Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      wibble
      If (when) Brexit goes wrong people like you (and yours) will be royally fucked.
      Which is only fair and right.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

So what are they gonna replace that market with?
        You think there aren't any potentially growing and larger markets than the Uk?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Sure - China maybe? Only they've had difficulty producing a biro that's reliable, so not sure they could meet the super high British Standards.

I would have thought Blue Stilton would be the alternative to Roquefort. Red Leicester instead of Gruyère perhaps?

Stilton is one of the few British cheeses that is reasonably easy to find in Germany and Switzerland. But Johnny-Continental still generally think the only British cheese is plastic cheddar. (As opposed to proper yummy cheddar). There are many Swiss and French cheeses of course, but none of them are as good as British cheeses. I believe in cheeses.
          I'm not a big cheese fan tbh - unless it's melted on toast.

Comment

Casu marzu anyone?

Derived from pecorino, casu marzu goes above and beyond typical fermentation to a stage of decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down of the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called lagrima, Sardinian for "tears") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucent white worms, about 8 mm (0.3 in) long.[2]

When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 cm (6 in). Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming while others do not.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Interested to know which British products are "far better" than EU counterparts.
              And which EU products don't meet our superior standards?

Or is this another example of Brexit fairy-tale land?
              Within the building trade? I don't have enough spare time to go through even 5% of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                Within the building trade? I don't have enough spare time to go through even 5% of it.
                Would that include cladding?
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  You think there aren't any potentially growing and larger markets than the Uk?
                  You think they ain't been trying to break into them for the last 30 years?

Fact is the world is now a small place - there are no new markets only emerging markets - main problem is they are not going to be cost effective for selling high end luxury cars, lager and sausages (well maybe lager and sausages)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I disagree. The EU does not care about their own industry. Just on punishing the UK.
                    This is the worrying bit for me, I actually think the EU autocrats care more about keeping the bureaucracy and their institutions that ensuring trade continues.

Commonsense approach would be to arrange a deal that enables trade and cooperation to continue, but I reckon the EU autocrats are incapable of thinking this way - they just want to protect their positions. Do I think German business will rise up and stand up for trade, not so sure now.

Comment

You think they ain't been trying to break into them for the last 30 years?

Fact is the world is now a small place - there are no new markets only emerging markets - main problem is they are not going to be cost effective for selling high end luxury cars, lager and sausages (well maybe lager and sausages)
                      I know a little while back the UK was seen as the Jeweled Isle by EU car makers, good place to make money.

Comment

Working...
                      X