• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The religion of wahhabism

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Obviously the majority (conservative) view is that scripture being God breathed (which is translated as "from" above), means that it is the Word of God, but that's an interpretive stance. And equally obviously, the phrase has entered the English language as a synonym for scripture/the Bible. However, TheGreenBastard's view is not without support. That verse says scripture is inspired by God. Nowhere is it explicitly stated that scripture is the Word of God. That phrase, when it appears, applies only to Jesus, or when God communicated with individuals.

The main difference theologically between the Bible and the Koran is that men were inspired as they wrote what became the Bible. When Paul wrote a letter to a church or and individual (even Tim), there's no indication that he considered what he wrote to be scripture. That was determined later.

The Koran was dictated to Mohammed by Allah. Mohammed says that every word came directly from Allah. The Koran as a published book must be looked after and treated reverentially, because the book itself is a holy object. The Bible is not, in my experience, considered to be a holy object. It is the words that are in it that are important.

TL;DR - I think there is a fundamental difference in the approach most Christians take towards the Bible and the approach most Muslims take towards the Koran.
    Fairy tales, that's all they are.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Fairy tales, that's all they are.
      +1

All the bloodshed throughout history over some nonsense written back in stone ages.

one day at a time

Comment

Mind you, political ideas are at least as bad. Look at how many died thanks to the worst example, Mao Zedong. Actually, Islam is probably a bit less irrational than communism, you can't actually prove it's wrong. Communism has failed over and over again and some loonies still believe it can work.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

There's a lot wrong with human society, from religion to government. Shame that when the worst of the two meet we end up with civilians paying the price as if we really had a choice over what our government does abroad in their own interests not ours.

If it really was as simple as voting Labour or organising a protest march there would be no ongoing problems.

Sometimes I wish aliens would invade then we'd all have a common enemy to focus on, or God was real and actually did something courageous to put a stop to it all, such as actually proving he existed. I think we'll get proof of aliens sooner.

In the meantime I'll continue to look on those brainwashed by religion or politics as being somewhat below par on the intelligence front.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Nice if we went with realities instead of being driven by emotions, religion, ideals etc. I'm afraid any correlation between sense and intelligence is near zero.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Nice if we went with realities instead of being driven by emotions, religion, ideals etc. I'm afraid any correlation between sense and intelligence is near zero.

All starts with education, be that from family or institution. No one is born with hate or intolerance. Unless they prove that there are markers in the DNA from those generations indoctrinated one way or another.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                All starts with education, be that from family or institution. No one is born with hate or intolerance. Unless they prove that there are markers in the DNA from those generations indoctrinated one way or another.
                Correct.

There was some research out a while ago that pointed out 2 year olds weren't racist. They had to learn how to be.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Correct.

There was some research out a while ago that pointed out 2 year olds weren't racist. They had to learn how to be.
                  So how does this actually help? I'm just wondering if we started educating children differently how this would actually work in practice over the next few generations.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Correct.

Or through experience? If some bu66er punches you in the face, you don't need your mum or dad to point out that they are a nasty bit of work.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Mind you, political ideas are at least as bad. Look at how many died thanks to the worst example, Mao Zedong. Actually, Islam is probably a bit less irrational than communism, you can't actually prove it's wrong. Communism has failed over and over again and some loonies still believe it can work.
                      Capitalism has failed more times than communism, it called recession and depression
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X