• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official (if AtW allows) Labour Manifesto Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the 'self-employed workers' section...

Abolish umbrella companies - "Banning payroll companies, sometimes known as umbrella companies, which create a false structure to limit employers’ tax liabilities and limit workers’ rights."

Assumption of non self-employed status - "Shifting the burden of proof, so that the law assumes a worker is an employee unless the employer can prove otherwise."

And, a definition of employment status to come - "we will set up a dedicated commission to modernise the law around employment status. New statutory definitions of employment status would reduce the need for litigation and improve compliance."

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      Nationalise it's a communist strategy.
      Like all those communist EU nations? Or all those Tory governments before Thatcher privatised things... privatisation is a pretty modern idea in the UK, remember. It's a traditional, totally vanilla left-wing strategy, not a communist strategy. The idea of a a Labour government supporting re-nationalisation is not surprising... maybe it's more surprising nobody has suggested it previously, which only goes to show how far New Labour moved to the right.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Where does 123k come from? Seems a bit random.

I bet the Tory manifesto won't be nearly so interesting, it'll just be meaningless bumf i.e. carry on as we are. I have absolutely no idea what the LibDems are standing for!
        IIRC, they were setting these thresholds based on a certain quantile of the electorate, so 123k is presumably the top x% of earners (?). I believe 80k is roughly 5%.

Comment

btw, just watch how this thread exploded as soon as I've confirmed its Official status

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            btw, just watch how this thread exploded as soon as I've confirmed it's Official status
            Let me express my gratitude.

It's also worth noting that Corbyn has effectively increased the 50% band since it was first introduced by Labour at 100k. Tax cuts for the rich!!
            Last edited by d000hg; 16 May 2017, 12:24.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not any time soon, I am happy to help local candidate - gave extra £7k for current campaign, it turned out that their maximum spending is actually very limited - max of £12.5k!!!

You are welcome to come for a glass of wine (or vodka if you prefer anyway)
              You can stand as local councillor first then stand anywhere they need a lib dem candidate.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It's also worth noting that Corbyn has effectively increased the 50% band since it was first introduced by Labour at 100k. Tax cuts for the rich!!
                Under New Labour (Brown) threshold was £150k for 50% tax.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You can stand as local councillor first then stand anywhere they need a lib dem candidate.
                  Maybe, soon Bham will be Liberated and then hopefully whole country

Comment

Under New Labour (Brown) threshold was £150k for 50% tax.
                    And it brought in SFA.

Tories lowered it and tax intake increased but the economy improved as well.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Maybe, soon Bham will be Liberated and then hopefully whole country
                      which ward are you standing in?

i'll happily vote for the other guy/gal

Comment

Working...
                      X