• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General election - let's undo BREXIT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Call me a cynic but doesn't a GE also coveiniently get rid of one or two embarrassing manifesto pledges....or at least allow them to be rewritten...
    Indeed.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Call me a cynic but doesn't a GE also coveiniently get rid of one or two embarrassing manifesto pledges....or at least allow them to be rewritten...
      Indeed, they're fighting themselves, so pledges to not increase VAT, income tax or NI are heading straight out of the door. They could pledge to increase them and still beat Labour.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        feck me this is a kindergarden government

Milan.
        Living in Italy you'd know all about that.

Comment

At least it's not going to be boring run up to the summer.

How are Labour going to play it? They still haven't got a clear position on BREXIT. The party doesn't like it. Their voters do. Their leader is a calamity.

How are the SNP going to play it? Presumably, they'll try and inject something into their manifesto regarding independence.

The Liberals are going to present themselves as the only party who can stop BREXIT. So they might pick up a few seats.

Can't see it affecting the timescales though, the grunt work of the exit negotiations will carry on regardless.

Comment

Which manifesto - Brexit or last GE?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The exit negotiations will be very simple, which is why she is going for an election. Basically no negotiations will take place other than the UK being presented with their unpaid bar bill and a take it or take it offer to move into the EEA as a "transitional" arrangement.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

"In a recent manifesto we promised £350million a week for the NHS. To do this we are going to raise the taxes and NICs for all small to medium businesses. To balance this out, we will reduce taxes on large international businesses and an owners of stately homes"
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  Living in Italy you'd know all about that.

TomTom,

you lost me there.

Think your TomTom needs new batteries or to connect with more satellites.

Milan.

Comment

I have to say that I voted Lib last time (strategically trying to prevent tories) but this time I'm actually tempted to vote for them on the basis they will avoid a hard brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      TomTom,

you lost me there.

Think your TomTom needs new batteries or to connect with more satellites.

Milan.
                      Well you had Berlusconi as a leader for most of a decade. Had 41 Prime Ministers since 1945. Prior to that were ruled by a fascist who led the country into the Second World War on the wrong side.

Live in a country with a 12% unemployment rate and with a with a debt ratio of 132% of GDP.

The only decent politician, Renzi, managed to get himself unnecessarily out of a job and your opposition party is run by a failed stand-up comic.

So all in all, I don't think the average Italian is any position to make snide comments on UK politics.

Having said that. I've holidayed in Italy a few times and enjoyed it, the people and culture immensely. But I won't be taking a lecture on stable government from an Italian any day soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X