• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“I put my life savings in crypto’: how a generation of amateurs got hooked on high-risk trading

Noor is whispering so her boyfriend won’t hear her. The 30-something designer from London is down about £14,000 as a result of her decision to get into investing, in addition to another £8,000 profit she made on bitcoin last year, but then lost. Nobody knows the full extent of Noor’s losses – hence the whispering. “I feel so stupid,” she says. “I can’t talk about it to my friends, I can’t talk about it to my boyfriend.” Noor is not her real name.

It started in November 2020, around the time of the US presidential election. “People expected Trump to win again,” she says, “and it was a weird time, because it was mid-pandemic, and it just seemed like this financial moment might be happening.”

She started reading about cryptocurrencies online, and the more she read, the more ads for trading platforms she was served on her social media feeds. Because of Covid, Noor hadn’t spent much money over the year. So she bought £10,000 worth of the cryptocurrency bitcoin online, which turned into £18,700 within weeks. “I’d never invested before,” she tells me.

She’d sleep with her phone under her pillow and wake up during the night to check the performance of her bitcoin. (Unlike listed stocks, bitcoin can be traded 24 hours a day.) “It was cooking my brain,” she says. “I’d look at it constantly.” All she talked about to her boyfriend was how well her investment was doing. “I’d be telling him, ‘Look, I just made £400 in a day,’”she says. Noor started to fantasise about a future in which she’d never need a mortgage, where she’d invest her way to extreme wealth.“

“And so far, it’s going well. “I’m guaranteed to make about £1,500 a week indefinitely,” Blake says with confidence. “It’s just overwhelming, because I’ve never had that much money in my life.”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...h-risk-trading
    Last edited by AtW; 22 June 2021, 15:27.

Comment

Crypto, and high risk stocks, seem to be just another facet of the gambling craze that's sweeping the nation.

Every other ad on the TV these days seems to be for bookies. There's quite a lot for stock brokers too.

The country is going gambling mad.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Pretty large amount of money that goes abroad instead of working inside UK, regulators not even trying minor things - it’s like with Covid - China did (late but still) what’s needed to suppress Covid and now tulipcoins, where as the West continues to allow these infections to damage lots of people

Comment

• MicroStrategy said Monday it bought about 13,005 bitcoins for $489 million in cash at an average price of roughly $37,617 inclusive of fees and expenses.
          • MicroStrategy, The business-intelligence software company now holds some 105,085 bitcoins, which were acquired for a total of $2.74 billion. That’s an average purchase price of $26,080 per bitcoin, inclusive of fees and expenses.
          • CEO Michael Saylor has made bitcoin acquisition a second mandate for his 32-year-old company. Its other business is developing software.
          • The purchase follows MicroStrategy’s raising of $500 million from the sale of debt to fund more bitcoin buying. As the company subsequently filed to sell $1 billion in shares to help buy even more of the leading cryptocurrency, we likely will see another purchase soon.

This is not going to end well.

Comment

“Bitcoin’s Money-Printing Machine Breaks Down as Futures Fall”

“The futures curve is saying it has no idea where the market is going.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/crypto?sref=o1Dqf087

Only way is down - even cretins will get a clue after the Chinese start executing crypto-criminals on stadiums

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              She’d sleep with her phone under her pillow and wake up during the night to check the performance of her bitcoin. (Unlike listed stocks, bitcoin can be traded 24 hours a day.) “It was cooking my brain,” she says. “I’d look at it constantly.”
              This is definitely a point worth making. Bad enough for traders who have to time getting up in time to check the markets in other parts of the world at weird times, but the always-on and extreme volatility of crypto means you can quite easily wake up to find a calamitous drop or epic increase. It's one of the first things I check when I wake up, quite often you'll see double-digit changes.

I try to avoid holding anything overnight at the moment. The other thing with crypto is that exchange fees are typically very low so you can liquidate every night. A very easy path into further phone-addiction.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                This is definitely a point worth making. Bad enough for traders who have to time getting up in time to check the markets in other parts of the world at weird times, but the always-on and extreme volatility of crypto means you can quite easily wake up to find a calamitous drop or epic increase. It's one of the first things I check when I wake up, quite often you'll see double-digit changes.

I try to avoid holding anything overnight at the moment. The other thing with crypto is that exchange fees are typically very low so you can liquidate every night. A very easy path into further phone-addiction.
                You can say this for any form of day trading be it crypto, FX, stocks, commodities, football scores. I hate short term trading where I have to constantly check the price and worry about liquidation and margin calls. I'm just not up for that amount of stress and activity. Been there, done that and learnt the hard lessons

Most of my positions I'm still holding since 2017 and ideally will never cash out as they can now generate yield which I partially cash out and DCA into more BTC/ETH regardless of the current price. I'm averaging around 8 hours quality sleep a night with regular 90/excellent scores on my Fitbit.

"Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The narrative is changing to positive from the likes of Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...b-global-en-GB

https://twitter.com/i/events/1407430251647586310?s=20

Maybe institutions have pushed it down enough to their desired entry levels.... which would be nice...
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    Maybe institutions have pushed it down enough to their desired entry levels.... which would be nice...
                    And the Moon landings were faked in Hollywood

Them cryptocretins and conspiracy Mor Ons are all alike

Comment

World’s Top Bitcoin Mining-Rig Maker Halts Sales as Clients Flee

Bitmain Technologies Ltd. has suspended sales of machines for spot delivery globally, aiming to prop up local prices after crypto miners fleeing Beijing’s crackdown dumped used mining rigs on the market.

The world’s biggest maker of Bitcoin machines told the local mining community Wednesday it has stopped selling new equipment after prices for top-tier rigs plunged by about 75% since April. By postponing sales, it could help miners exiting the industry get better prices for their machines. Bitmain could also benefit if the reduced supply buoys prices over the longer term for new machines.“

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...&sref=o1Dqf087

“Market” rigged on all levels

Comment

Working...
                      X