• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All alts are flying right now while bitcoin seems relatively static - perhaps this is the impact of the futures market - bitcoin price stability. Way too early to say of course, but if it is, that could be great for trading alts.

Comment

Waves making waves.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        Bought in and sold when it dropped twice now - kicking myself. I'm gonna leave it alone, would be pure FOMO if I went back in now.
        I cashed it out to £ at about 7 am this morning then bought back when I got into work. I really need to divide my portfolio into long/short term and stop all this daytrading as fees are racking up. I believe LTC and ETH will both go up a lot so I'm going to send a good chunk of them to my hardware wallet along with some BTC and hodl them for medium/long term. Also some of the more solid alts that have long term value and are establishing themselves.

I think about 50% HODL and 50% bittrex seems like a simple strategy while sending some gains to the HODL wallet on each successful trade. Not forgetting to buy some with FIAT every month as well. Then a cash out strategy might be needed as well but there is another guy at clientco who sold 1000 LTC at $7 each earlier this year - he's still working at his desk when he really shouldn't be.

I'm hearing and reading more and more people saying that accumulation and hodling is the way to go with this rather than trying to make short term quick money daytrading. But it's just so fun and exciting.

There's a saying in trading (can't remember who said it) that it should be boring and methodical. If you're having fun then you're doing ti wrong and it will end in tears...
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I cashed it out to £ at about 7 am this morning then bought back when I got into work. I really need to divide my portfolio into long/short term and stop all this daytrading as fees are racking up. I believe LTC and ETH will both go up a lot so I'm going to send a good chunk of them to my hardware wallet along with some BTC and hodl them for medium/long term. Also some of the more solid alts that have long term value and are establishing themselves.

I think about 50% HODL and 50% bittrex seems like a simple strategy while sending some gains to the HODL wallet on each successful trade. Not forgetting to buy some with FIAT every month as well. Then a cash out strategy might be needed as well but there is another guy at clientco who sold 1000 LTC at $7 each earlier this year - he's still working at his desk when he really shouldn't be.

I'm hearing and reading more and more people saying that accumulation and hodling is the way to go with this rather than trying to make short term quick money daytrading. But it's just so fun and exciting.

There's a saying in trading (can't remember who said it) that it should be boring and methodical. If you're having fun then you're doing ti wrong and it will end in tears...
          Could be some sage advice. Day trading like this is just gambling innit? If you've got the time and money then what the hell. I'm spending too much time in work doing this though, need to reign it in.

I've got too much scattered around in trades that haven't worked out (compared to BTC - most still up against GBP significantly) - I should probably consolidate them, keep the majority spread over various long term hold positions.

Buying in steadily and spreading the risk, maybe indexing the top 10 coins might be a good idea. Re-adjust it now and again based on market share.

Comment

Could be some sage advice. Day trading like this is just gambling innit? If you've got the time and money then what the hell. I'm spending too much time in work doing this though, need to reign it in.

I've got too much scattered around in trades that haven't worked out (compared to BTC - most still up against GBP significantly) - I should probably consolidate them, keep the majority spread over various long term hold positions.

Buying in steadily and spreading the risk, maybe indexing the top 10 coins might be a good idea. Re-adjust it now and again based on market share.
            If these were normal markets it would be easier to apply a more normal approach and mindset, but this is anything but normal Seeing parabolic moves and gains of 30% in a single day is just crazy and not in my comfort zone at the moment. Emotionally detatching and just leaving it is incredibly hard - especially with the possibility that it could all come crashing down at any minute...

Unlikely but it's moved up so much so quickly I can't help feel it should normalize some time - but maybe what we're seeing just is the new normal... Very little of crypto makes conventional investing/trading sense. We live in interesting times!
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

LTC just hit it's yearly high against BTC, part of me is screaming to cash it out...

Comment

If these were normal markets it would be easier to apply a more normal approach and mindset, but this is anything but normal Seeing parabolic moves and gains of 30% in a single day is just crazy and not in my comfort zone at the moment. Emotionally detatching and just leaving it is incredibly hard - especially with the possibility that it could all come crashing down at any minute...

Unlikely but it's moved up so much so quickly I can't help feel it should normalize some time - but maybe what we're seeing just is the new normal... Very little of crypto makes conventional investing/trading sense. We live in interesting times!

Totally. 30% moves are small fry in the crypto world. This is definitely where something regulated would be great - an index managed asset fund would be awesome to just put a regular amount in every month. But unless it's an FCA approved financial institution, I'm not trusting anyone with my coins long term.

Comment

Totally. 30% moves are small fry in the crypto world. This is definitely where something regulated would be great - an index managed asset fund would be awesome to just put a regular amount in every month. But unless it's an FCA approved financial institution, I'm not trusting anyone with my coins long term.
                  I bought this Bitcoin ETF in my SIPP on 13/10/2017. It's down 7% and has been in the red since I bought it...

Comment

I bought this Bitcoin ETF in my SIPP on 13/10/2017. It's down 7% and has been in the red since I bought it...
                    That's only bitcoin though. I'd like something that was indexed against something like the top 50 coins.

Comment

I traded half my eth about 3 hours ago for btc to take advantage of a drop... still waiting!! Bad idea trying to get a small coin accumulation today!

Comment

Working...
                      X