• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looks like it is kicking off in Sweden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    "Of course Aeneas was going to have a few spats with the prejudiced and xenophobic indigenous Italians, but he brought Trojan style and enterprise, accepted that his people needed to learn the indigenous language if they were to stay, and helped found the alliance of peoples which constituted the Roman Republic. If the sophisticated Trojans hadn’t come to Italy, it would have remained the narrow-minded provincial backwater they discovered there. Instead, they (along with the locals and immigrants from Greece who had already got there) helped create the economic miracle that was ancient Rome."

So it's Ok to invade a backwater? As long as you bring 'civilisation' then slaughter, sorry 'spats' are ok?

Economic miracle? Rome was never more more than a subsistence economy driven to it's limit, underpinned by plunder and slavery.

Hall is a self-promoting Greek professor constantly trying to advertise the supposed relevancy of ancient, and particularly Greek culture. It isn't relevant, in any way, far too alien, but is fascinating in its own right.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Quite. Totally unpreventable given all the lorries on the roads in cities.

Maybe we should stop this daft PC pretence that the current wave of terrorism in Europe it is nothing to do with migrants and minorities, the products of previous migration, and control our borders properly. If we only took in high performers who accept our core values and integrate we would not have these problems.
      Odd..

All the recent terrorism comes via imans who were given money to indoctrinated people via Saudi Arabia. Saudis aren't exactly poor.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        According to the comments below the blog that is a load of tosh.
        Indeed I just though bet she is a bremainer.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Of course Aeneas was going to have a few spats with the prejudiced and xenophobic indigenous Italians
          Ah. A mention of ancient history and Gibbon is back. How ya doin' Gibbon?
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Funky?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Not so bad Xogg, seems a long time from mad dancing at Xmas 2005 in Derby. You Ok? I went back to RR a few times, each time worse, never again.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Still managing the mad dancing. RR was certainly one of the most boring contracts I ever had even by aircraft standards. What happened to erm.. forgotten his name now, that nice chap you sat next to? (Mike?)
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've just started reading his book. Fascinating stuff.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Still managing the mad dancing. RR was certainly one of the most boring contracts I ever had even by aircraft standards. What happened to erm.. forgotten his name now, that nice chap you sat next to? (Mike?)
                    Yes it was Mike. He's up at Warton, I was there with him for a while until last year. He's just come out of a long-term relationship and is nowTindering his heart out.

Comment

BTW Xogg, Mike sends his regards and says he still has some dodgy photos of you dancing with that bird in Derby!

Comment

Working...
                      X