• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Total fatalities/injuries from terrorism in the UK since 1970

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    To be fair to Bee, most Brits wouldn't know if there was an incident in Strabane either, it's treated as such low-level activity there now that it doesn't make the main news any more. I have family in Donegal and nobody's batted an eyelid.
    However most Brits having heard of random bombs being mentioned on the news wouldn't say it's historical.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      However most Brits having heard of random bombs being mentioned on the news wouldn't say it's historical.
      No? I would say that most Brits, who don't even get to hear about random bombs such as Strabane, would say that it was historical. Very close history, but still in the past.

Most of my Irish family, including those in Donegal who remember very well the checkpoints, bombings, army interventions, etc, would also say that it was historical and that it's only a few eejits left that are trying to stir things up.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        IRA derivatives and loyalist groups are still active in Northern Ireland. There was a bomb on Thursday there, in Strabane, targeting the police.

As I suggested before you should keep up with the news and read up about historic events before commenting about terrorists incidents in another European country otherwise you look like an idiot.
        It depends on what you categorise as active, anything like this can be put down more to criminal gangs protecting their patch.

Comment

Anyways, I think equating all of this stuff in the current time to Irish politics and trying to reason our way out of it is a foolhardy approach.

The Islamic armies burned the great Library of Alexandria in the 7th century. With a binary approach that all the books that were unislamic should be burned and those that agreed should be burned as well as they were unimportant as the koran was already there.

1400 years on the general ****wittery exhibited by a great number of this religion shows no signs of abatement, sticking fingers in ears and pretending it's not happening is not going to work.
          Last edited by minestrone; 26 March 2017, 09:11.

Comment

The security services claim they are keeping tabs 3000 problematic Muslims, out of a total of 3 million in the population. 1 in a thousand is generous as clearly a great number of that thousands are either infants, old or just generally not allowed out of the kitchen.

Would anyone seriously buy a car from a manufacturer that had a 1 in a thousand chance of catastrophic failure?

Comment

equating all of this stuff in the current time to Irish politics and trying to reason our way out of it is a foolhardy approach
              Quite. Love the logic of the liberal left, so many idiocies.

Going back in history is a favourite. Seen some even cite the history of the Spanish Caliphate to prove how peaceful and tolerant Islam is. It probably was more tolerant than Christianity back then but those of us who don't have time machines are more concerned with its nature today. Look at the laws of many Islamic governments, terrorism by ISIS etc. is only a part of the threat to rational government.

Another one is that Islamic terrorism is nothing to do with immigration since most terrorists were born here, ignoring the reality that since 2003, most, outside of NI, has come from within minorities that migration has brought us in recent decades. Of course those born here are British citizens and we need to do more to help them fit in and achieve success but that does not mean, in the context of immigration, that we should go on repeating past mistakes by allowing in low performers or those who refuse to integrate.

Then they confuse cause and effect by complaining about the rise of the far right but don't consider that would not be happening if valid concerns about immigration has not been ignored for far to long. The best way to reduce racism is to ensure we don't have these problems by far stricter immigration controls. Make sure that entrants have the skills to succeed, that they understand our laws and are prepared to abide by them and that they agree with the basic principles of our society, democracy, secular government, equality of women, freedom of choice etc. I don't think most care what colour or race people are, just as long as they are a positive benefit to the UK.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The figures for the IRA, PIRA, RIRA, etc do not include the disappeared. Or the unborn children of the pregnant mothers, all of whom were considered "legitimate targets"
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  The figures for the IRA, PIRA, RIRA, etc do not include the disappeared. Or the unborn children of the pregnant mothers, all of whom were considered "legitimate targets"
                  Someone let it slip one of the other moderators was less than impressed by your ability, don't know if you have heard anything about that?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Quite. Love the logic of the liberal left, so many idiocies.

Going back in history is a favourite. Seen some even cite the history of the Spanish Caliphate to prove how peaceful and tolerant Islam is. It probably was more tolerant than Christianity back then but those of us who don't have time machines are more concerned with its nature today. Look at the laws of many Islamic governments, terrorism by ISIS etc. is only a part of the threat to rational government.
                    Good point. The countries from the Iberian Peninsula had and still has the culture of share. The Muslims that invaded part of IP (called Al-Andaluz territory consisted by south of Portugal and part of Spain) were from North of Africa known by Moors.
                    The process of "eliminate" the Moors" from IP took 7 centuries and during the process occurs conversions from Muslim to Christians, from Christians (locals) to Moors and sharing knowledge like architecture, arts, science, agriculture...etc.

The ones who not converted to Christians or leave the IP were pursued by the Inquisition.
                    The process was concluded in Portugal around 1200 and in Spain around 1400.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Another one is that Islamic terrorism is nothing to do with immigration since most terrorists were born here, ignoring the reality that since 2003, most, outside of NI, has come from within minorities that migration has brought us in recent decades. Of course those born here are British citizens and we need to do more to help them fit in and achieve success but that does not mean, in the context of immigration, that we should go on repeating past mistakes by allowing in low performers or those who refuse to integrate.

Then they confuse cause and effect by complaining about the rise of the far right but don't consider that would not be happening if valid concerns about immigration has not been ignored for far to long. The best way to reduce racism is to ensure we don't have these problems by far stricter immigration controls. Make sure that entrants have the skills to succeed, that they understand our laws and are prepared to abide by them and that they agree with the basic principles of our society, democracy, secular government, equality of women, freedom of choice etc. I don't think most care what colour or race people are, just as long as they are a positive benefit to the UK.
                    The ISIS is claiming the attacks due to the EU countries involvement in Siria, but for me is more than that because they are threatening Portugal and Spain claiming Al-Aldaluz that I explained above.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X