• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Total fatalities/injuries from terrorism in the UK since 1970

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The City used to be empty on the weekend back then. Not sure what its like now.
    If IRA wanted to do a mass killing would be on a weekday.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Now that's what I call being caught between a rock and a hard place.
      I'm an enigma wrapped up in a riddle......or something like that!!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        https://www.graphiq.com/vlp/b9oeLjtXOND

Peak years for deaths were 1972 and 1988. And yet I don't remember such wailing and anguish and generally snowflake behaviour in the 70s/80s.
        Is it simply the case that today's generation is weak or is it that because it's Muslims rather than Catholics now, it's in some people's interest to make it look worse than it is?
        It's because terrorism today is the new "bogeyman", the overarching thing that keeps the entire population living in fear and thus easily controllable by our malevolent overlords.

Back in the past, it was the threat of another war (you know, one that involved soldiers and bombs dropping on our cities) but now that everyone is armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons and "star wars" defense systems and today's war are waged in foreign lands with laser guided missiles launched from 3000 miles away, the powers that be can't use that as the fear monger, so terrorism it is.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          and you are being rude and very un-observant.

I detest the IRA.

However the feeling I remember was less like the modern perception of terrorism. That is what I was trying to convey. Imagine a piece like this about ISIS even on the BBC.

Stating the IRA was fighting a war is what IRA apologists say.

I am acutely aware that every terrorist group uses the technology of their time likewise the reporting of their incidents also depends on the technology of the time. This means there was less hysteria over terrorist incidents in the late 20th Century as you learnt about them a few hours of them happening instead of 10 minutes, if you were not directly in the vicinity.

Anyway luckily for us the peace process happened otherwise the IRA would have been now able to recruit disenfranchised youth on the mainland from a wide variety of backgrounds to terrorise us. It is not nice as a kid to meet an adult then later be told they are actually an IRA apologist and would have been heard saying they would the armed struggle if they could. Likewise I've met a couple of people who found that one of their relations used their exporting business to do gun running for the IRA and that the families links to Northern Ireland weren't strong.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Why do you imagine that the IRA and their supporters require to be apologised for?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              It's because terrorism today is the new "bogeyman", the overarching thing that keeps the entire population living in fear and thus easily controllable by our malevolent overlords.

Back in the past, it was the threat of another war (you know, one that involved soldiers and bombs dropping on our cities) but now that everyone is armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons and "star wars" defense systems and today's war are waged in foreign lands with laser guided missiles launched from 3000 miles away, the powers that be can't use that as the fear monger, so terrorism it is.
              I have my doughts that any nations would engage in a nuclear war except North Corea, even dough I'm septic.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Why do you imagine that the IRA and their supporters require to be apologised for?
                You are talking tulip. Oh and I didn't take you for vetran's sockie.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You are talking tulip. Oh and I didn't take you for vetran's sockie.
                  Well if burying your head in the sand is your preferred option then do carry on.

However, if you fail to even acknowledge that your adversary may have a differing point of view, and strive to understand it, then you will always fail to find a solution to any conflict.

Not that anyone would ever put someone as staid as you in charge of any meaningful negotiations, so nothing to worry about there.

Comment

You took a vetran sentence and you twisted.

War is a crap excuse because in a war would be soldiers against soldiers, not civilians. And of course, they wanted to apologise because they don't want to be in jail. They are terrorists, not stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      ...Terrorism is a mass killing done on purpose to kill or injure others.
                      Terrorism is the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      When you're used to something it becomes more routine?

I hardly think you can argue being angry and upset by a terrorist attack is weak/snowflakey. It's right to be horrified by such things.
                      It's right to be horrified - but then adopt a **** you attitude.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Apologist.
                      noun
                      a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.

HTH
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X