• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    The GE resulted in the following results in Scotland.

SNP (56) Conservative (1) Labour(1) Lib Lem(1)
    The implication in that claim is that SNP represent 95% of Scottish people. But not true, only 50% of Scotland voted SNP in the 2015 General Election.

24.3% voted Labour...

The Scottish election led to the following CONSTITUENCY seats (might be 1 or 2 out on this but even you should get the drift) SNP (52) Conservative (7) Labour (3)
    SNP only got 46.5% of the constituency vote. Tories on 22%.

Raw percentages are what is important in a referendum, the above numbers really don't point to any kind of popular support for independence.

If there is a Scottish independence referendum, then the bar should be set higher than 50% for support anyway (just like it should have been for Brexit), and any council areas whose voters choose to remain in the UK should be allowed to separate from Scotland and remain in the UK.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I feel sorry for the refugees. The accent they'd pick up would make them incomprehensible. On the plus side getting a bit of drunken nookie would be easy.
      You saying a Glaswegian-Geordie hybrid dialect would be incomprehensible? I say it would take English to a new level.

Haddaway and tulipe ya bampot.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        London : 'we're holding a referendum to leave the European union

EU: Doesn't matter you won't be allowed to stay in the EU go to the back of the line

Scotland: 'we're holding a referendum to leave the UK union'

London: ' You just had one & lost 55-> 45 because everyone realised you would be broke. Let us get on with Brexit, after that we will see what we can do '.
        FTFY!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
          Are you serious? How can 56 Scottish MPs influence an English majority of almost 600 MPs?
          Probably a lot better than 6 Scottish MEPs could influence 745 non-Scottish MEPs.

Besides, I don't think the Welsh or the Northern Irish would thank you for that. There are 'only' 533 MPs with constituencies in England. But more importantly, due to the size difference between England and Scotland, you would expect a difference in this figure. In fact, if you drill down to the MPs to population ratio, Scotland is better represented than England in Westminster.

Nicola Sturgeon obviously gives more of a damn about Nicola Sturgeon
          FTFY.

Brexit wont be a disaster, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
            The implication in that claim is that SNP represent 95% of Scottish people. But not true, only 50% of Scotland voted SNP in the 2015 General Election.

24.3% voted Labour...

SNP only got 46.5% of the constituency vote. Tories on 22%.

Raw percentages are what is important in a referendum, the above numbers really don't point to any kind of popular support for independence.

If there is a Scottish independence referendum, then the bar should be set higher than 50% for support anyway (just like it should have been for Brexit), and any council areas whose voters choose to remain in the UK should be allowed to separate from Scotland and remain in the UK.
            And the tories got 36.9% at the 2015 GE, but speak emphatically for the entire country.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

And the tories got 36.9% at the 2015 GE, but speak emphatically for the entire country.
              I concur, FPTP is dreadful, it doesn't represent the country at all. Alas, we were asked if we wanted to change the system and 67% of us said no.

That said, 53% of Mancunians decided we didn't want a mayor, but we're getting one anyway.

(Perhaps more referendums need to be as decisive as the Manchester Congestion Charge Referendum in 2008 where 78.8% said '**** right off').

However, my point being that the overrepresentation of the SNP in Westminster and Holyrood does not imply Scotland voting to leave the UK any time soon as that would be raw percentage rather than a dodgy system.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                I concur, FPTP is dreadful, it doesn't represent the country at all. Alas, we were asked if we wanted to change the system and 67% of us said no.

That said, 53% of Mancunians decided we didn't want a mayor, but we're getting one anyway.

(Perhaps more referendums need to be as decisive as the Manchester Congestion Charge Referendum in 2008 where 78.8% said '**** right off').

However, my point being that the overrepresentation of the SNP in Westminster and Holyrood does not imply Scotland voting to leave the UK any time soon as that would be raw percentage rather than a dodgy system.
                Agreed, but it does give them a mandate to 'speak for Scotland' as Theresa May would put it. They won as many seats as it's possible to win in both 2015 GE and 2016 SE. So that's my point. If the SNP can't speak for Scotland, in a parliamentary sense, then how can the Tories speak for the UK ?

I've never said that the numbers as they sit prove that Scotland would vote yes, but such an overwhelming vote for a party who's reason to exist is for independence gives them the right to demand it takes place.

Thatcher actually said that all Scotland had to do for full independence was vote in majority of MP's in Scotland
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Thatcher actually said that all Scotland had to do for full independence was vote in majority of MP's in Scotland

Did she?

Comment

Well, I've given you an hour.

Comment

One thing that seems to overlooked is a Yes (or more likely to be termed a Leave) vote wouldn't just split Scotland from the rest of the UK, but split Scotland itself. It might will cause a situation similar to Ireland in the 1920s.

Comment

Working...
                      X