• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh fook...

Gordon Brown: 'Holyrood should gain Brexit powers' - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Agreed, but it does give them a mandate to 'speak for Scotland' as Theresa May would put it. They won as many seats as it's possible to win in both 2015 GE and 2016 SE. So that's my point. If the SNP can't speak for Scotland, in a parliamentary sense, then how can the Tories speak for the UK ?

I've never said that the numbers as they sit prove that Scotland would vote yes, but such an overwhelming vote for a party who's reason to exist is for independence gives them the right to demand it takes place.

Thatcher actually said that all Scotland had to do for full independence was vote in majority of MP's in Scotland
      Look, let's look past the political constructs.

What is the plan for currency?

Comment

I think Brown's idea makes sense, give us all far more autonomy - including us English.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I think Brown's idea makes sense, give us all far more autonomy - including us English.
          We gave the SNP autonomy over education 10 years ago...

Forgive me for wanting to sit this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

They will just continue to dumb down the populace, and lower the voting age to 12, to make sure that Wee Krankie can proclaim herself the next King of Scotland.

It beggars belief how far she is prepared to go to get her glaikit fizzer onto Shortbread tins!!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The SNP did not come to power until 2010. Labour the years before.

It would seem the SNP have arrested the rate of decline since taking office. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Look, let's look past the political constructs.

What is the plan for currency?
                We realise that the currency question was the major thing that tripped us up even although The Bank of England said afterwards "of course they could have used the pound" so plans are underway. That won't be a problem during #ScotRef

Plan for a new Scottish pound 'likely' to be recommended by SNP Growth Commission, insider says (From The National)

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  We realise that the currency question was the major thing that tripped us up even although The Bank of England said afterwards "of course they could have used the pound" so plans are underway. That won't be a problem during #ScotRef

Plan for a new Scottish pound 'likely' to be recommended by SNP Growth Commission, insider says (From The National)
                  Great idea. You can peg it to the Matabele Gumbo Bean till it finds its feet!!!
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    Probably a lot better than 6 Scottish MEPs could influence 745 non-Scottish MEPs.

Besides, I don't think the Welsh or the Northern Irish would thank you for that. There are 'only' 533 MPs with constituencies in England. But more importantly, due to the size difference between England and Scotland, you would expect a difference in this figure. In fact, if you drill down to the MPs to population ratio, Scotland is better represented than England in Westminster.

FTFY.

Brexit wont be a disaster, by the way.
                    You don't understand the difference between the two unions. Malta, smaller than a lot of Scottish islands, currently holds the presidency of the EU because it is a union of independent nations who have an equal say on policy.

Comment

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      You don't understand the difference between the two unions. Malta, smaller than a lot of Scottish islands, currently holds the presidency of the EU because it is a union of independent nations who have an equal say on policy.
                      The founding 6 have a stronger voice.

Any club where older members get extra perks is not equal.
                      Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 18 March 2017, 21:52.
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X