• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer Timekeeping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And this is a big deal because?
    I guess its about perception. Contractors and perms are not always judged by the work they do but rather that their timekeeping fits in with the majority.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      I didn't say it was, it was merely an observation of the 8-4:30 crew who don't realise how long people often stay.
      I can turn up to clients any time from 7am

I know some people work early and others work late, both having time to avoid the chitchat in the office so some productive work is actually done.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I guess its about perception. Contractors and perms are not always judged by the work they do but rather that their timekeeping fits in with the majority.
        This, sadly.

Too many managers simply don't trust their workers (permie or contractor) if they don't see them at their desk 9-5pm.

They assume the worker MUST be slacking (because that's what they'd do themselves?).

They simply cannot fathom that those different work hours, whether it be from really early (2 guys in my team are in at 7am every day) or later simply works for them for whatever reason.

Maybe they do the school run, maybe they are a one car family and their other half needs a lift, maybe the rush hour traffic isn't worth it, maybe they want to be home to have dinner at a normal time with their family, and a million other reasons.

Now, there is obviously good reason to have core hours for work collaboration reasons, which really is what the OP wants. But they should be sensible and allow for flexible working, which is the way the world is moving (where possible obviously, there are many jobs where it cannot work)

Comment

Working...
        X