• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer Timekeeping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yes if its brief & targeted.

Fastest way to announce deadlines etc. You can keep working on less demanding tasks while on the call.
    I switch off in meetings until something comes up relevant to me and I expect most people do.

If you send an email out you have proof that everyone concerned got it so no arguments about deadlines, particularly if later it transpires more than one team needs to help deliver something.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Team huddles? Is this for real?
      Yes just like the movies

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Send an email, subject deadlines.
        can do but sometimes its better to do via audio & follow up by email. Especially if you have a senior stakeholder / sponsor.

These are the deadlines, discuss with your team and get back to me by 4pm.

The drivers of these deadlines are XYZ.

The Sponsor says "You are all doing very well!".

takes 15 minutes. Do once a week / fortnight.

Done!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          yes if its brief & targeted.

Fastest way to announce deadlines etc. You can keep working on less demanding tasks while on the call.
          Correct, as stated it was a daily defect call.
          The data warehouse and Java dev team numbered around 300 odd to put things into perspective.....
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Developer Timekeeping - Update

Just to update on this thread from last week...

Said developer has been spoken to has agreed to be in the office earlier when required, no issues. Simple discussion simply resolved.

So those who said this was a case of micro management and questioned OPs intelligence, sadly way of the mark in this instance. Enjoy the humble pie.
            Last edited by kaiser78; 27 February 2017, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Said developer has been spoken to has agreed to be in the office earlier when required, no issues. Simple discussion simply resolved.

So those who said this was a case of micro management and questioned OPs intelligence, sadly way of the mark in this instance. Enjoy the humble pie.
              You are all doing verrry welll!!!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I presume you didn't talk to him yourself?

What humble pie?

Comment

It's still micro-management.

He's agreed to it, because he's a contractor, otherwise he might be out the door.

You still haven't explained why the "project day" as you called it needs to start at 9am.

So long as the hours and work gets done, this type of thing is micro management.

Comment

The humble pie makes you look a bit of a pillock. Of.course he's going to come in earlier. You've not won anything.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP - so are you this guys PM or manager or just another team member?

If you're just another team member then, I'd be well peed off if another contractor was getting involved and whinging about me. None of anyone elses business.

Expecting someone to do the exact hours you want them to do unless there is a very good reason is OTT. Fair enough, everyone can be expected to make an effort for a specific thing but its not school and theres no school bell for first lesson!
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X