• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit strategy white paper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    London elitist.
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    He looks up to you, because you're a London elitist. You look up to me, because I'm a Swiss elitist.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I see in the white paper that under UK employment law people are entitled to 14 weeks a year of holidays, compared with a measly 4 weeks in the EU.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just finished reading all 77 pages. It is more of a wish list than a white paper.

The figures for the number of Brits living in Europe is vastly under estimated
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          I see in the white paper that under UK employment law people are entitled to 14 weeks a year of holidays, compared with a measly 4 weeks in the EU.
          I think someone was confusing the poor plebs with MP's
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Just finished reading all 77 pages. It is more of a wish list than a white paper.

The figures for the number of Brits living in Europe is vastly under estimated
            The figures for EU citizens living in the UK is equally underestimated.

I don't see the point of a white paper, given we have an opening position, a walk away position, and an ideal position. The rest is conjecture.

If you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Leavers moaning again: 'Not enough detail' on Brexit strategy, say leave voters - ITV News

The Government's Brexit strategy - released in the wake of the Commons Brexit Bill vote - "does not have enough detail", according to residents of the town which had the highest 'leave vote' in the referendum.

Members of a walking club in the Lincolnshire town of Boston - where more than 75 per cent of constituents voted to leave the EU, told ITV News "there wasn't enough details" about when the UK would be leaving and they wanted the Brexit process to "hurry up".

Speaking as MP Hilary Benn, the head of the Brexit select committee, went to the town to canvas opinion about what leaving should look like one member of a local walking club said: "We haven't had time to get enough detail - there wasn't enough detail, there wan't enough detail when the referendum came in."

One thing that did seem to be agreed upon during the canvassing session though was that "immigration was the biggest problem" with people who had been in the meeting with Benn telling ITV it was a key issue in their canvassing session with the MP.
              So:

(a) even though they didn't actually know what Brexit would entail, they still voted leave. Never thought about a bit of research first?
              (b) so it wasn't about immigrants, pull the other one...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Leavers moaning again: 'Not enough detail' on Brexit strategy, say leave voters - ITV News

So:

(a) even though they didn't actually know what Brexit would entail, they still voted leave. Never thought about a bit of research first?
                (b) so it wasn't about immigrants, pull the other one...
                So what if it was about immigrants?
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  So what if it was about immigrants?
                  Because everyone keeps denying it was about immigrants, it was all about taking control of our borders, our own laws, sovereignty, everything but immigrants of whom the majority are non-EU anyway...

Comment

Never thought about a bit of research first?
                    Most of us did. Just depends on who's crystal ball you thought was most attractive. Those who could see no issue with leaving (i.e. not the end of the UK economy as predicted by the BoE amongst others) voted to.
                    Personally I hate being told what to do and doubly so by someone who does not have a clue but is paid a fortune to tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Because everyone keeps denying it was about immigrants, it was all about taking control of our borders, our own laws, sovereignty, everything but immigrants of whom the majority are non-EU anyway...
                      It was about having control for me. Not stopping immigration but controlling what we need and when.

If I just wanted to stop immigration that bothered me I'd go for all the ICT visas first.

Comment

Working...
                      X