• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foodbank client stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House-building in Berkshire: The need is soaring - Get Reading

Reading has been planning for 572 new houses each year - but it should be building nearer 700.

The figures has come from a study called the Strategic Housing Market Assessment - produced for all the councils in Berkshire - which has identified the need for 4,900 houses to be built every year in the county.
    Not nearly enough if 2 bed houses are at £600k.

Bungalows For Sale in Berkshire - Rightmove
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Turin, a little village on the outskirts of Thame.
      do you get a lot of confused Fiats racing round there?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        The actual house-building isn't a problem per se, but once you build a certain number of houses, you then need to provide a local infrastructure network - schools, healthcare, etc. - which has to be funded from a government pot that is shrinking proportionately to those dipping into it and those paying into it.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          +1 demand is based on how stupidly willing bank are to lend money, how stupid people are to borrow it and and how much a bank can get away with lending.

For the past 10 years you have been able to borrow more on an Interest only BTL mortgage (basically interest needed to be covered by rent) than a First Time buyer could borrow (as that was based on their income).

Thankfully the former has now changed and prices have only 1 direction for the next few years..
          Wrong and wrong. Yes low interest rates and lending has exasperated the problem but supply is the core problem. Population growth in the UK has exploded those past 20 years. Even all those from the EU does not explain it away. When I bought my Edinburgh in 07 I was one of 32 people who made an offer.

Post Brexit the UK is going to become much more expensive. House prices will increase as the country seeks to position itself with reduced taxes, like Switzerland but with mahosive debt, which will mean even less money for public services than there is today.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Wrong and wrong. Yes low interest rates and lending has exasperated the problem but supply is the core problem. Population growth in the UK has exploded those past 20 years. Even all those from the EU does not explain it away. When I bought my Edinburgh in 07 I was one of 32 people who made an offer.

Post Brexit the UK is going to become much more expensive. House prices will increase as the country seeks to position itself with reduced taxes, like Switzerland but with mahosive debt, which will mean even less money for public services than there is today.

House prices will increase in sterling but WGAS?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

Lots of people end up in living homes that are inappropriate for them, my parents ( and my wife's parents ) are great examples of this. The are all in their 70's yet continue to live in the 5 bedroom homes that my wife and I grew up in. They are occupying more space than they need.

Force old people to sell up. That would go a long way to fixing the housing problem.
              I see this a lot, Germany included.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                The Market Oracle has made some excellent forecasts l, but this one is from 2010 and doesn't factor in Brexit.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  do you get a lot of confused Fiats racing round there?
                  Corsas probably. With large exhausts making them think that they've got a Subaru.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Cobblers. The graph spikes at the point that people realised that there was going to be little point in a pension for their old aged so not unreasonably switched to property.
                    Cobblers+

Has I paid into my pension instead of keeping my pad in town I'd be quids in already as pension pot has increased last year alone by 24% (unforeseen of course).

Comment

Cobblers. The graph spikes at the point that people realised that there was going to be little point in a pension for their old aged so not unreasonably switched to property.

Has I paid into my pension instead of keeping my pad in town I'd be quids in already as pension pot has increased last year alone by 24% (unforeseen of course).

Comment

Working...
                      X