• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truly Global Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truly Global Britain

<placeholder>

“A little over six months ago the British people voted for change. They voted to shape a brighter future for our country. They voted to leave the European Union and embrace the world. And they did so with their eyes open: accepting that the road ahead will be uncertain at times, but believing that it leads towards a brighter future for their children – and their grandchildren too.

And it is the job of this Government to deliver it. That means more than negotiating our new relationship with the EU. It means taking the opportunity of this great moment of national change to step back and ask ourselves what kind of country we want to be.

My answer is clear. I want this United Kingdom to emerge from this period of change stronger, fairer, more united and more outward-looking than ever before. I want us to be a secure, prosperous, tolerant country – a magnet for international talent and a home to the pioneers and innovators who will shape the world ahead.

I want us to be a truly Global Britain – the best friend and neighbour to our European partners, but a country that reaches beyond the borders of Europe too. A country that gets out into the world to build relationships with old friends and new allies alike. I want Britain to be what we have the potential and ambition to be: a great, global trading nation that is respected around the world and strong, confident and united at home.

Our vote to leave the European Union was no rejection of the values we share. The decision to leave the EU represents no desire to become more distant to you, our friends and neighbours.

We will continue to be reliable partners, willing allies and close friends. We want to buy your goods, sell you ours, trade with you as freely as possible, and work with one another to make sure we are all safer, more secure and more prosperous through continued friendship.

We seek a new and equal partnership – between an independent, self-governing, Global Britain and our friends and allies in the EU. Not partial membership of the European Union, associate membership of the European Union, or anything that leaves us half-in, half-out. We do not seek to adopt a model already enjoyed by other countries. We do not seek to hold on to bits of membership as we leave.

The United Kingdom is leaving the European Union. My job is to get the right deal for Britain as we do. We have 12 objectives that amount to one big goal: a new, positive and constructive partnership between Britain and the European Union. And as we negotiate that partnership, we will be driven by some simple principles: we will provide as much certainty and clarity as we can at every stage. And we will take this opportunity to make Britain stronger, to make Britain fairer, and to build a more Global Britain too.”

Theresa May. British Prime Minister.
    Never thought I'd see the day. Absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      Never thought I'd see the day. Absolutely fantastic.
      Print out a few copies, you'll be able to hand it out in that EU humanitarian soup queue 28 days after Brexit.

Comment

Depending on how you look at it, Theresa May speaks for 37% of the population; 25% of the population, or 0% of the population.

Good speech though.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Depending on how you look at it, Theresa May speaks for 37% of the population; 25% of the population, or 0% of the population.

Good speech though.
          No, she speaks for 100% of the population, as Prime Minister of the democratically elected government.

Little confusing for some I know, but that is how it works here in the UK.

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            No, she speaks for 100% of the population, as Prime Minister of the democratically elected government.

HTH
            No she doesn't. Her party chickened out of speaking for the entire country when they had the referendum.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

HTH
              No she doesn't speak for 100% of the population because we are a democracy, not a dictatorship.

Little confusing, I know, but that is how it works in the UK.

HTH :
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Cracking speech by May so far. What's there not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Good speech though.
                  Yes. She's a calm, assured speaker. It's all highly reasonable.

I'm sure the usual hysterical CUK commentators will be along soon to tell us why we are all doomed.

Comment

Missed the first bit, will have to listen again. Britain coming together. Snigger.

I hope they do crack on with it. What happened with that court case thingamyjig. And how is she sure that they are going to be allowed to carry on down the path she wants to take us without more barriers?

Comment

Working...
                    X