• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Accept free movement or EU will restrict single market access, Angela Merkel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    A comprehensive FTA in 15 months, do you believe that ?

What do you think they'll do if it isn't all sorted out by then. Well there will be a game of chicken, and the UK is a lot smaller so guess who wins.

Sorry, missed this. No, obviously not, although I think Sir Ivan Rogers was, indeed, being way too pessimistic w/r to a 10-year timeframe because we're essentially talking about the erection of tariffs and non-tariff barriers in place of existing tariff-free trade and regulations in the UK that generally meet or exceed EU requirements (many were proposed by the UK). This is completely different to the typical trade-deal. Completely.

I believe I've said what is likely to happen, and May has also talked about this in front of the Liaison Committee. The difference is that your interpretation of a "transition" is very, very different from mine or, indeed, what May has alluded to. Again, there are plenty of lines in the public domain and scope to read between them. She's revealed far more than you and others believe. As I've said, this is because you don't want to hear what's being said. And, again, what I think about her strategy is neither here nor there, I'm merely commenting on what I believe that strategy to be.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      As I've said, this is because you don't want to hear what's being said.
      Do enlighten us, seems like variable politician bollux to me
      Hard Brexit would suit me personally now that I'm prepared for it.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Do enlighten us, seems like variable politician bollux to me
        Hard Brexit would suit me personally now that I'm prepared for it.
        About what, precisely?

Yes, I know HB would suit you personally. But I do wonder why you care so much about accruing more capital, given that you're fantastically wealthy already. Easily amused, I guess.

Comment

Good article from Ganesh about listening to what May has said.

https://www.ft.com/content/13e9801c-...1-7393bb2e1b51

Comment

Poor chap. I think aTw should seek counselling for his Brexit obsession.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              About what, precisely?

Yes, I know HB would suit you personally. But I do wonder why you care so much about accruing more capital, given that you're fantastically wealthy already. Easily amused, I guess.
              Wish I was fantastically wealthy, luck and some good property decisions have made me relatively prosperous. Always looking to be wealthy enough to retire before 50 though, and now I have arranged to be fairly liquid, I'm looking for opportunities to make it so.
              Of course I could be wrong and Brexit doesn't bring a big cheap sell off. What do you think?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

luck and some good property decisions have made me relatively prosperous. Always looking to be wealthy enough to retire before 50 though. What do you think?
                I think your Mittyitis has kicked in again. Have you reduced your meds?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Wish I was fantastically wealthy, luck and some good property decisions have made me relatively prosperous. Always looking to be wealthy enough to retire before 50 though, and now I have arranged to be fairly liquid, I'm looking for opportunities to make it so.
                  Of course I could be wrong and Brexit doesn't bring a big cheap sell off. What do you think?
                  Well, we think you're wrong. As do the guys at Cambridge University Business School.

"Researchers at the University of Cambridge's Centre for Business Research say the Treasury's pre-referendum forecasts of the economic impact of Brexit were "pessimistic rather than realistic.""

"...the Treasury's analysis is "found wanting" and has "little basis in reality.""

"The academics forecast "a 2% loss of GDP by 2025 but little loss of per capita GDP, less unemployment but more inflation... the path of GDP is projected to be only a little lower than it might have been in the absence of a Leave vote.""

"The academics pin the blame on the Treasury's methodology, saying the Brexit estimates "provide virtually no information directly about UK trade with the EU" and are instead based on "cross-sectional averages across a range of countries at different dates.""

"The impact of the fall in sterling in cushioning the blow of tariffs is not factored in"

"The working paper, for example, assumes that Theresa May prioritises immigration controls and manages to reduce net migration to around 165,000 from 2020. It also assumes an eventual free trade deal with the EU and a transition arrangement while it is negotiated. While these assumptions are likely, they are by no means certain."

Comment

All it needs is for Theresa Mayhem to keep opening her mouth to **** up Britain even more because every time she does, the pound takes another stumble Mind you, she doesn't exactly say anything meaningful and there seems to be a lot of empty promises in her latest and greatest outpouring of concern for the general public...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      All it needs is for Theresa Mayhem to keep opening her mouth to **** up Britain even more because every time she does, the pound takes another stumble Mind you, she doesn't exactly say anything meaningful and there seems to be a lot of empty promises in her latest and greatest outpouring of concern for the general public...
                      And yet she's still 10 times more coherent than any of you lot..........

Comment

Working...
                      X