• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does the Tory government help the man in the street?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    To answer the OPs question, I've just thought of one thing that the working class got from the Tories : the right to buy council houses.
    But that policy was the primary reason for the housing shortages we have now and consequent high prices.
    Many ex council house occupiers in the better areas of London became millionaires on the back of this policy without lifting a finger, which is surely contrary to Tory policy
    Labour thought of it first and allowed individual councils the choice to implement it.

Tories did what some in Labour tried to do - control the unions. The good point is no wildcat strikes, flying pickets and closed shops. The bad point unstable employment and the horrors governments after WWII tried to get rid off with zero hours contracts.

Oh something my mum said was important - individual taxation. This meant a husband couldn't use finance to control his wife.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Agreed, but surely just another example of another poorly headline policy, without any thought with regards to the fall out / knock on effects after, surely?
      Correct. The short termism of all parties has been the downfall of this country. Giveaways at every election, fook the consequences
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Correct. The short termism of all parties has been the downfall of this country. Giveaways at every election, fook the consequences
        FFS!! I'm off for a lie-down. I am in agreement with sasguru. What is the world coming to?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          FFS!! I'm off for a lie-down. I am in agreement with sasguru. What is the world coming to?

Actually, sometimes not that difficult to agree
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Is this about Tory Govt or Brexit?
              About the government, although I suppose that if Brexit is a success they will claim credit, and if it's not the remoaners will get the blame.

But the government, here and now, is what my question was about. Interesting so far that no-one can think of anything of substance, rather than they are "less bad than the alternative".

O/T I looked and looked for a thread which I thought was on here; a long list of things that the Blair/Brown govt had messed up during their time in tenure, I suppose the post would have been around the time of the 2010 election, but I can't seem to find it.

Comment

But that policy was the primary reason for the housing shortages we have now and consequent high prices.
                what a load of rowlocks

A history of social housing - BBC News

Local councils have not built any housing since 1980.

Between 1979 and 2013, 1.6m council homes were sold.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...es-pay-to-stay

between 1979 & 2013 the official population has grown 10 million.

average household size 2.3

so we need about 4.34 million houses to house the new population.

the sold council houses are about a third of needed housing stock.

Now your real cretinism is that once sold the houses don't suddenly stand empty they will be lived in by someone either an owner occupier or a tenant. So despite no longer being owned and operated by the council (frequently at a loss in real terms) they don't decrease housing stock.

I didn't like the policy of discounting it so much they could have sold it without bribing the tenants, a council backed mortgage would have been a good idea.

The same stupidity is applied to Buy to let (clue is in the name) someone lives there and pays rent. Again BTL does not decrease housing stock.

The real reasons we are short of housing is that the population is growing (for many reasons but mostly due to immigration according to the figures) and fewer houses are being built. Some houses are being sold to overseas investors because the price rises make them a good investment even if they stand empty.

If you want to cure the housing shortage then build 4.34 million homes that are available for people to move into and only sell them to people who will allow them to be lived in, be they landlord or owner.
                Last edited by vetran; 13 December 2016, 13:41.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  what a load of rowlocks

A history of social housing - BBC News

Local councils have not built any housing since 1980.

Between 1979 and 2013, 1.6m council homes were sold.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...es-pay-to-stay

between 1979 & 2013 the official population has grown 10 million.

average household size 2.3

so we need about 4.34 million houses to house the new population.

the sold council houses are about a third of needed housing stock.

Now your real cretinism is that once sold the houses don't suddenly stand empty they will be lived in by someone either an owner occupier or a tenant. So despite no longer being owned and operated by the council (frequently at a loss in real terms) they don't decrease housing stock.

I didn't like the policy of discounting it so much they could have sold it without bribing the tenants, a council backed mortgage would have been a good idea.

The same stupidity is applied to Buy to let (clue is in the name) someone lives there and pays rent. Again BTL does not decrease housing stock.

The real reasons we are short of housing is that the population is growing (for many reasons but mostly due to immigration according to the figures) and fewer houses are being built. Some houses are being sold to overseas investors because the price rises make them a good investment even if they stand empty.

If you want to cure the housing shortage then build 4.34 homes that are available for people to move into and only sell them to people who will allow them to be lived in, be they landlord or owner.
                  Not actually true.

Wandsworth council tell you how proud they frequently are of building their 3-4 units per year.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Most of them will be hit the hardest and Brexit has not even started - HM Gov negotiating via the press looks more like wishful thinking of amateurs.
                    You're still economically clueless, aren't you? You fit in nicely with the other Remnants. And now you want to post about negotiating skills.......

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                      You're still economically clueless, aren't you? You fit in nicely with the other Remnants. And now you want to post about negotiating skills.......
                      He started a company from scratch and is a millionaire.
                      Wish I was as economically clueless as he is
                      You fit in nicely with all all the other bone ignorant and stupid Brexiters.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X