• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

B$&**% Thieves -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being cynical to think that this story is being released in time for Christmas - all those people wondering what to get their dads - how about Amazon Prime so you can watch that show?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Or a link to where he can watch it for free.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I also have prime.

So it is a service which costs £6.58 per month and for that you get

Free delivery on some stuff - very useful this time of year

Lots of free movies, box sets etc - some can be great some can be rubbish

Only real disappointment for me is that kindle books are not included but meh...

So for all those who would rather commit a crime than pay £6.58 a month

1) AYSYACOTBAC
        2) Do you regularly steal a bottle of wine from the Off Licence?

Comment

Prime's ace. Being able to plan a(n almost guaranteed) delivery for when you know you're going to be around is worth every penny. If you're studying or something as a proper student - or have a .ac.uk email address somewhere you can probably get it for £39 a year as well - but no family sharing with that. Depending on how much you buy on 'no rush' deliveries means you can get yourself 'free' kindle and mp3 things as well. Every penny's a prisoner.

Also, I'm sure they plan the renewal dates based on the previous year's £59 deal. Let your account lapse for a few weeks to catch the next £59 deal.

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
            Prime's ace. Being able to plan a(n almost guaranteed) delivery for when you know you're going to be around is worth every penny. If you're studying or something as a proper student - or have a .ac.uk email address somewhere you can probably get it for £39 a year as well - but no family sharing with that. Depending on how much you buy on 'no rush' deliveries means you can get yourself 'free' kindle and mp3 things as well. Every penny's a prisoner.

Also, I'm sure they plan the renewal dates based on the previous year's £59 deal. Let your account lapse for a few weeks to catch the next £59 deal.
            It auto-renews so you don't have a choice.

They get you signed up for £59 then when it renews they automatically take £79 about 7 days before the renewal date.

However if you ever have any issues with delivery and kick up a fuss they can give you a month to three off pushing your renewal date back 1-3 months.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm probably going to sound like an Amazon shill but I think for £79 a year it's one of the best value purchases I make. A quick check of my account history shows I placed over 90 orders in 2016 and even allowing for 20% of them not being prime eligible (which is probably high as I tend to check before buying) that still means I've got free next day delivery on 70+ orders so it easily pays for itself, and that's before you factor in the prime movies/tv shows and music.

Yes I know some people don't care about getting things next day, but actually to me it's quite important because usually when I order something it's because I need it and before the days of Prime it was a toss up between getting it cheaper online and waiting 2-3 days for delivery or going to a shop to get it there and then. Nowadays I can order something before 3-5pm one day and have it delivered the next day so I'll do that instead of paying more from a shop. Obviously this isn't great for local businesses and I do fear the day that Amazon becomes so dominant that high street shops disappear and then what's to stop Amazon ramping up their prices, but as a consumer it's not really for me to change that and you can't blame people for wanting the cheapest product.

I can't wait for the day when same-day deliveries are available in my area - I know Amazon are trialing this in some big cities (not sure about the UK but certainly in the US) and that really will be the end of me buying something in a shop, unless I physically can't get it off Amazon or I *need* to see/try it first.

I've also found their customer support to be pretty great when it comes to replacements/refunds, and have even been refunded the difference when something I've ordered is reduced in price just after I bought it.

Comment

I don't really understand the freetard mentality, especially amongst those of us that develop software for a living. If all your clients took your work and then didn't pay you'd be on here screaming blue murder, but more importantly you wouldn't be able to do it anymore. We'd all be working in McDonalds instead. If you enjoy watching TV shows then stealing them only makes it less likely there'll be great TV shows in future. And that's just dumb.

Where's my high horse? Oh I'm still sitting on it.

I trialled Prime a couple of years ago, didn't find anything worth watching and cancelled it and trialled Netflix instead. Which I've kept ever since and watch all the time. I have Prime again now, and it's probably worth it just for the deliveries. Actually I thought this week's Grand Tour was rather good, unlike the previous three which were firmly in the okay but not great category.

Considering that if Clarkson and co. had gone to Sky it would have cost about £400 per year to watch AND you'd have had adverts in the programme, then both Prime and Netflix are remarkably good value for money.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I don't really understand the freetard mentality, especially amongst those of us that develop software for a living. If all your clients took your work and then didn't pay you'd be on here screaming blue murder, but more importantly you wouldn't be able to do it anymore. We'd all be working in McDonalds instead. If you enjoy watching TV shows then stealing them only makes it less likely there'll be great TV shows in future. And that's just dumb.

Where's my high horse? Oh I'm still sitting on it.

I trialled Prime a couple of years ago, didn't find anything worth watching and cancelled it and trialled Netflix instead. Which I've kept ever since and watch all the time. I have Prime again now, and it's probably worth it just for the deliveries. Actually I thought this week's Grand Tour was rather good, unlike the previous three which were firmly in the okay but not great category.

Considering that if Clarkson and co. had gone to Sky it would have cost about £400 per year to watch AND you'd have had adverts in the programme, then both Prime and Netflix are remarkably good value for money.
                  +1

OK the Grand tour may not be your cup of tea but it is very popular in its new format.

'The Grand Tour' Breaks Viewing Records As Amazon Prime's Top-Ranking Original Show | The Huffington Post

The Grand Tour (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb

Unfortunately the luvvies don't like it.

BBC review of Jeremy Clarkson's Grand Tour brands show 'uncomfortably hubristic'

BBC review of Jeremy Clarkson's Grand Tour brands show 'uncomfortably hubristic'
                  I watched & enjoyed it I'm no petrol head.

There is some great stuff on Prime which considering it costs £79 a year is a bargain. Sometimes you find things cheaper than prime but mostly its the best price & next day delivery, It also sets the expectation delivery should be free.

Currently enjoying Braindead (which after Trump only seems mildly wild), The Girlfriend Experience, Mad Dogs there are plenty of others
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It auto-renews so you don't have a choice.

They get you signed up for £59 then when it renews they automatically take £79 about 7 days before the renewal date.

However if you ever have any issues with delivery and kick up a fuss they can give you a month to three off pushing your renewal date back 1-3 months.
                    I misspoke there. I meant that I reckon they don't have £59 deals exactly 12mo apart to prevent you easily keeping on the discount gravy-train.

Comment

The wife got six months free as she is a student (undertaking a Masters). Even at £79 - given the price people pay for Sky/Virgin etc - I think it's good. Thought the Grand Tour enjoyable. Slight air of Clarkson/Hammond/May of men that have too much cash and don't give a stuff anymore. Lots of interesting films if you dig about. Watched Wild Bill (directed by Dexter Fletcher) which was good.

Comment

Working...
                      X