• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU learning the hard way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nah cos most of Europe doesn't know what their country's commissioner is responsible for.

Also the last one in head of something like finance resigned due to Brexit, so they put a British one in Security as even if we leave we are extremely likely to co-operate on that.
    Well I must admit I didn't. I just assumed the French were in charge of fishing, the Italians were in charge of finance, the Swedes were in charge of agriculture and Luxembourg was in charge of foreign policy. And the Germans are actually in charge of all those, and everything else.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Yeah yeah, very likely.
      I'm sure the Yugoslavians in the late 80s thought it also unlikely, and the Syrians. I met recently one old lady whose family had fled Iraq during the Iran/Iraq war after the deaths of half her family, and settled in Syria. They thought they were safe. She's the only one left now.

The origin of the word bigot is irrelevant. It is what it means now, which is "A person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.". This certainly applies to some of the people here - although a certain amount of scorn on people who are so obviously in the wrong (must be, because they disagree with me) is de rigueur.

St Paul's cathedral was apocryphally described by Charles II as amusing, awful and artificial, which used to mean amazing, awesome and cunningly constructed.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I'm sure the Yugoslavians in the late 80s thought it also unlikely, and the Syrians. I met recently one old lady whose family had fled Iraq during the Iran/Iraq war after the deaths of half her family, and settled in Syria. They thought they were safe. She's the only one left now.

The origin of the word bigot is irrelevant. It is what it means now, which is "A person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.". This certainly applies to some of the people here - although a certain amount of scorn on people who are so obviously in the wrong (must be, because they disagree with me) is de rigueur.

St Paul's cathedral was apocryphally described by Charles II as amusing, awful and artificial, which used to mean amazing, awesome and cunningly constructed.
        Unfortunately Bigotry is becoming more and more closely associated with the Liberal left with their bleeding heart head in the sand philosophy.

"why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
          Unfortunately Bigotry is becoming more and more closely associated with the Liberal left with their bleeding heart head in the sand philosophy.

Things go in circles.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well in our little village we have had several muggings by people of Somali origin - threatening teenagers with knives and pinching their phones etc. No word from the police on twitter or Facebook. The wife was in the local store when they popped in making a nuisance of themselves trying to sell stolen goods. The Indian shopkeeper told the misses that they are constantly stealing from the shop. The shopkeeper waited with her until they had gone as the wife was worried about walking to her car.

We have had a spate of burglaries and now the latest news is that a van with foreign number plates is canvassing the area to check if people are home.

It's nice being liberal an all until it starts affecting you.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Britain's fault for having colonies in the past.
              oh for <Deity's> sake.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post

I entirely agree. The bigots' world view is skewed by their hatred. It's a consequence of treating people as less than human (not as good as we fine fellows), or in stereotypical classifications - which is what both left and right wing bigots do. I prefer to focus on individuals - although there are cultural issues which must be treated in a group fashion.

However, the liberal/left wing being a bunch of intolerant smegheads does not mean that anyone calling out right wing bigots is a liberal nor left wing. I am most definitely right wing in terms of economics and society (small state, "traditional" values, capitalism), but I abhor racism and xenophobia, and the people who promote it.

Comment

I entirely agree. The bigots' world view is skewed by their hatred. It's a consequence of treating people as less than human (not as good as we fine fellows), or in stereotypical classifications - which is what both left and right wing bigots do. I prefer to focus on individuals - although there are cultural issues which must be treated in a group fashion.

However, the liberal/left wing being a bunch of intolerant smegheads does not mean that anyone calling out right wing bigots is a liberal nor left wing. I am most definitely right wing in terms of economics and society (small state, "traditional" values, capitalism), but I abhor racism and xenophobia, and the people who promote it.
                  Most people do. As for xenophobia, there's a fine line between that and patriotism, especially when foreigners' actions do little to curry favour with the locals.

In terms of your actions, what in particular did you ban DA for, suggesting something? Are people not allowed to have thoughts without being banned?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

For most bigots is fear rather than hatred.

Fear of being raped, robbed, attacked.

Certainly the likelihood of this happening increases the less there is a cohesive social arrangement.

It works both ways, the olive branch must be extended and the branch must be taken and respected. There are flaws on both sides of this arrangement.

There is a 'wolf pack' gang mentality with some opportunistic young male migrants.

Perhaps it is the demographic of who makes it to the UK (a long hard road) by all accounts. So the fittest, most ruthless, and canny are the victors.

This is why I think Cameron is spot on with wanting to choose the most needy from as close to the point of origin as possible. Rather than make a choice from the flotsam at the other end.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Most people do. As for xenophobia, there's a fine line between that and patriotism, especially when foreigners' actions do little to curry favour with the locals.

In terms of your actions, what in particular did you ban DA for, suggesting something? Are people not allowed to have thoughts without being banned?
                      You can think what you like, but you can't post what you like. I think I made the reasons for the banning quite clear here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2341480

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      For most bigots is fear rather than hatred.
                      I think it's hatred born from fear and/or ignorance.
                      Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Fear of being raped, robbed, attacked...
                      You sound like you're justifying bigotry. If you fear being raped, robed or attacked, take necessary precautions and action to protect yourself. Posting bile, or promoting violence or hatred against a target group on an internet forum is not taking action.

Comment

Working...
                      X