• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gymanist taking the mick out of religion receives two month ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    It all depends on how you define "sin" One man's sin is another man's normality
    This is true, but it is irrelevant to whether Christianity teaches the stoning of sinners. It clearly doesn't and never has. In the same way the Lord of the Rings isn't about a man spending an extended period of time stranded alone on Mars.

But given the level of ignorance displayed by some posters, I'm not surprised they believe all kinds of nonsense without a shred of evidence.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      This is true, but it is irrelevant to whether Christianity teaches the stoning of sinners. It clearly doesn't and never has. In the same way the Lord of the Rings isn't about a man spending an extended period of time stranded alone on Mars.

But given the level of ignorance displayed by some posters, I'm not surprised they believe all kinds of nonsense without a shred of evidence.
      Have you always been a patronising winker or was it only since you became a moderator?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Have you always been a patronising winker or was it only since you became a moderator?
        Touchy little fellah, aren't you.

Have you always been as thick as pigtulip, or did you start off being as thick as bitumen?

Comment

Touchy little fellah, aren't you.

Have you always been as thick as pigtulip, or did you start off being as thick as bitumen?

Oh dear, you are drunk on power. I'll leave you to it and your three inch penis.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Oh dear, you are drunk on power. I'll leave you to it and your three inch penis.
            Oh dear, I think I've upset you. Here, have a hug - you know I love you really.

Comment

WTFH said its not nearly that size, he saw it at the latest mods get together
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

But given the level of ignorance displayed by me, you shouldn't be surprised I believe all kinds of nonsense without a shred of evidence.
                FTFY

Strange I was always taught Christianity included both the Old & New testaments. That Commandments thing, Noah, Red sea etc. Father, Son & Holy Ghost etc. Are you saying the Franchise only started with Jesus and the prequel is null & void, in which case we better tell our local churches, my Daughters were all taught about Noah & Jonah. Though Noah should really be called Gilgamesh.

Just because Jesus wasn't keen on it doesn't mean Christians didn't do it at least a few hundred years ago.

Deuteronomy 22:22: “If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel”; and in Leviticus 20:10: “If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife— with the wife of his neighbour—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.”
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  WTFH said its not nearly that size, he saw it through a magnifying glass at the latest mods get together
                  FTFY
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    FTFY

Strange I was always taught Christianity included both the Old & New testaments. That Commandments thing, Noah, Red sea etc. Father, Son & Holy Ghost etc. Are you saying the Franchise only started with Jesus and the prequel is null & void, in which case we better tell our local churches, my Daughters were all taught about Noah & Jonah. Though Noah should really be called Gilgamesh.

Just because Jesus wasn't keen on it doesn't mean Christians didn't do it at least a few hundred years ago.
                    No, the Old Testament is imperfect, this is displayed in , of all places, the Sistine Chapel. Forget the cartoon on the ceiling, the most important theological paintings in the place are on the lower walls. One wall displays the life of Moses the other of Christ. Moses is often used in art to represent the OT. In the most important painting Christ is shown handing the keys to St Peter, the background are perfectly completed buildings, an allusion the work of God is complete in Christ. Opposite this painting is one containing Moses and the punishment of Korah (I think); in this depiction the buildings in the background are unfinished, thereby alluding the OT is not perfect and requires further work. This is how the OT should be viewed and should not be used literally to promote Christianity nor to criticise it. Any premise will be false due to the imperfect nature of it.

BTW I'm no fan of Christianity.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      FTFY

Strange I was always taught Christianity included both the Old & New testaments.
                      The OT and NT are the scriptures of Christianity, but Christianity is an interpretation of the Old Testament in the light of the New Testament. The OT is about a nation's relationship to God. the NT is about individuals' relationship to God. You may have noticed that stoning adulterers has never been part of Christian practice or tradition - you think there might be a reason for that? Christianity as it has been worked out in the past 2000 years has never really included adopting OT law (and the NT explains why that is entirely the right thing to do, while still maintaining that murder, adultery etc. aren't very good things).

I agree with what Gibbon says. While we may disagree on interpretation and some of the facts, he knows a lot more about these subjects than is displayed by the ignorant outpourings of some on this forum!

Comment

Working...
                      X