• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are people inherently stupid when it comes to money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were her repayment conditions on her actual loan?

The first io mortgage i had 30 ish years ago had no term and was, in fact, silent on capital repayments. In those circumstances it is reasonable to be aggrieved on a repayment demand.

Of course my current io, which is offset, is explicit.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

partially but such a contract does require a certain investment of intelligence.

If she is mentally sub standard then possibly.
      I didn't listen to the program, but possibly her hubbie organized the mortgage originally. So speculating on her intelligence or otherwise may be irrelevant.

As someone has already pointed out, in so many words, what is to stop her getting equity release and repaying the mortgage out of that?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I didn't listen to the program, but possibly her hubbie organized the mortgage originally. So speculating on her intelligence or otherwise may be irrelevant.

As someone has already pointed out, in so many words, what is to stop her getting equity release and repaying the mortgage out of that?
        it will cost her more?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          it will cost her more?
          Because her daughter owns some of it....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

She sounds stupid.

Can you post her contact details? Plan B is to fleece the stupid...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              She sounds stupid.

Can you post her contact details? Plan B is to fleece the stupid...
              How did that contractor loan scheme work out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                How did that contractor loan scheme work out for you?
                He accidentally loaned himself a tenner and went bust on the interest.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  She's not totally in la la land. There are mortgage products that do exactly that. You just pay interest and they take the house when you snuff it.

In Switzerland, mortgages are inherited. It's repayment that's unusual (because interest payments are tax deductible against the wealth tax).
                  I was going to say what some here dismiss as "stupidity" is exactly how things may work in other countries.

It's not primarily a question of stupidity, it's a question of poor education. This stuff isn't (or at least wasn't) taught at school as part of basic money education which would be more useful than learning P=IV and the capital of Australia.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I was going to say what some here dismiss as "stupidity" is exactly how things may work in other countries.

It's not primarily a question of stupidity, it's a question of poor education. This stuff isn't (or at least wasn't) taught at school as part of basic money education which would be more useful than learning P=IV and the capital of Australia.
                    What do people have parents for?

You can't make schools teach everything otherwise they get accused of teaching leftish or rightish views.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      What do people have parents for?

You can't make schools teach everything otherwise they get accused of teaching leftish or rightish views.
                      Basic money management like how to create a budget, how borrowing and saving work, what a mortgage is, should be mandatory. You could say the parents should teach the children how to read and write and do simple arithmetic; more parents know those things!

All these financial things can very easily be covered as part of the existing curriculum as it's basic arithmetic, you just apply the context. Relying on parents who may not know themselves just perpetuates the issue.

I'm not saying we should have GCSE questions "Tarquin's fathers earn £34k collectively, if they get 99% mortgages how many BTLs can they buy" just basic, useful skills. Hell if you think education should focus on the more pure academic stuff then teach it along with woodwork and IT as a namby pamby life skill module!
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X