• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heathrow runway - will it ever happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    I think you're being optimistic. Have you seen what they plan to do to the M25? This will create years of chaos.
    Cynic. Its only for the interim

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Cynic. Its only for the interim

Would make sense. Build a new M25 a mile or so outside the existing one and land planes on the old M25. Job done. You can have 4 runways that way (North, South, East and West).

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        Would make sense. Build a new M25 a mile or so outside the existing one and land planes on the old M25. Job done. You can have 4 runways that way (North, South, East and West).

Barry, you should pitch to the project team, they need "members" like you
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Actually, the M4 would be about the right size/width/location. Why not close it from Jn2 - 4b and turn Heston Services into Terminal 6.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Trouble in paradise.

Boris Johnson says Heathrow airport expansion is 'undeliverable' - minutes after Government backs third runway

Heathrow expansion has been given the go-ahead by the Government but the Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has labelled the plan as "undeliverable".

Tory MP Zac Goldsmith also resigned in protest after the third runway scheme was chosen by Theresa May and her ministers.

Mr Goldsmith, the MP for Richmond Park and Kingston, told his constituency branch that he would be resigning.
            Proposals to expand an existing runway at Heathrow or build a second runway at Gatwick have been rejected.

A public consultation will now be held on the impact of a third runway at the west London hub before the final decision is put to MPs for a vote in the winter of 2017/18.

Mr Johnson opened a Cabinet rift by opposing the plans and suggesting that it is "very likely it will be stopped".

Justine Greening, the Education Secretary, is also expected to send a message to her constituents in Putney, south-west London, making clear that she is opposed to expanding Heathrow.

Giving the green light to Heathrow comes after nearly two decades of delays by successive Labour and Conservative governments.

Heathrow is viewed as the preferred option because it has significantly more focused on long-haul flights and carries significantly more air freight.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Barry, you should pitch to the project team, they need "members" like you
              Visionary consultancy like this doesn't come cheap. They can't afford me.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Actually, the M4 would be about the right size/width/location. Why not close it from Jn2 - 4b and turn Heston Services into Terminal 6.
              Perfect. Sounds less hassle too. Have you got a fag packet to draft the plans on? I presume we could dig a big tunnel to stick the rest of the motorway in? London people seem to like travelling in tunnels so I expect they'd be cool with that.

Comment

Visionary consultancy like this doesn't come cheap. They can't afford me.
                "Blue sky" thinking
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Perfect. Sounds less hassle too. Have you got a fag packet to draft the plans on? I presume we could dig a big tunnel to stick the rest of the motorway in? London people seem to like travelling in tunnels so I expect they'd be cool with that.
                  Tunnel? Nah, I was going to build a bridge for the motorway...

(Think about it)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just stick all of London in a tunnel. Then you can turn the above-ground part into airports and cycle lanes.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      How dumb do you have to be to move to that part of west London / Berkshire and then discover there's an airport there. Even then it'll still be £1m for a bedsit.
                      3rd runway has been a possibility since I was a child.
                      There was an old biddy on the radio saying she doesn't want it. Given that she was there before the airport I have a little sympathy. Given that she'll be dead before it's built and my sympathy just ran out.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X