• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heathrow runway - will it ever happen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    3rd runway has been a possibility since I was a child.
    There was an old biddy on the radio saying she doesn't want it. Given that she was there before the airport I have a little sympathy. Given that she'll be dead before it's built and my sympathy just ran out.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      3rd runway has been a possibility since I was a child.
      There was an old biddy on the radio saying she doesn't want it. Given that she was there before the airport I have a little sympathy. Given that she'll be dead before it's built and my sympathy just ran out.
      At least she has good transport options if she feels the need to move.

Comment

Tsk tsk! People living near an airport and complaining about runways. FFS!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Boris will dig his heels in to make sure money doesn't go to Heathrow that should be going to fund £350 million per week for the NHS.
          I know you've said it maybe 50 or 60 times this month alone, but look at the picture.

In what way are the two statements connected?

I read it as "We pay the EU £350m per week. Let's spend an extra £1 on the NHS funding instead."
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            I know you've said it maybe 50 or 60 times this month alone, but look at the picture.

In what way are the two statements connected?

I read it as "We pay the EU £350m per week. Let's spend an extra £1 on the NHS funding instead."
            No point debating with OG. His wheel is still just about turning but the hamster is dead!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Hedge the bets and expand Gatwick as well - whoever gets the planning permission sorted first gets the rest of the work.

If they both look realistic () then both keep going and we don't have to revisit all this again in 2040.

Comment

If they don't quickly decide to expand Gatwick, the owners of Gatwick as well as other airports will sue the government.

If they don't pretend to do an enquiry into expanding Gatwick then all the environmental groups will sue the government.

So the government needs to say they will expand Heathrow. Then while going through court do another enquiry to expand Gatwick.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  How dumb do you have to be to move to that part of west London / Berkshire and then discover there's an airport there. Even then it'll still be £1m for a bedsit.
                  Depending which way the wind is blowing you can find yourself easily living under an airport's flight path in London and the SE. Especially due to the fact they have to stack planes because of lack of runways....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If it happens, it will be used for internal flights to sap life out of the regions.

Parliament is crumbling - the building that is.

Time to build a new parliament between Lancashire and Yorkshire. With an airport close by. And super fast train links to Northern cities. Close Heathrow and move traffic to the new one.

The Victorians would have done it. Which is what made them a world power.

Theresa May has proved herself as incompetent as Cameron. She should resign.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      If they don't quickly decide to expand Gatwick, the owners of Gatwick as well as other airports will sue the government.

If they don't pretend to do an enquiry into expanding Gatwick then all the environmental groups will sue the government.

So the government needs to say they will expand Heathrow. Then while going through court do another enquiry to expand Gatwick.
                      We've settled the argument about LGW. It's a royal pain in the arse to get to. 1 road (M23 - usually fecked) and 1 train line (usually on strike). Build a second runway there by all means, but only in addition to LHR3.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X