• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unjust new landlord tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So why is it not a business if you make money, invest profits and pay taxes?

Many people prefer to rent I have found to preserve their capital and avoid the ties of a mortgage so genuine landlords that operate as a business are not 'scum' - I would assert that you are just bitter.

Landlords that ignore tenants requests and just pocket the money are scum.
    I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      unless of course you are a company or a broad...
      So NLYUK will be ok with her BTL* empire of illrepute.

* Brothels to let
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        So NLYUK will be ok with her BTL* empire of illrepute. (Brothels to let)
        of course

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I am right in my understanding that if one only pays basic rate tax then the one can still fully offset the mortgage interest payment against tax for BTL?
          Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
            I am right in my understanding that if one only pays basic rate tax then the one can still fully offset the mortgage interest payment against tax for BTL?
            Yep.... However there are some examples where because their actual income figure is based on their income before interest rate deductions rather than after interest rate deductions their income may now be too high to receive tax credits.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

An unexpected consequence of all of this is that (with a bit of planning) I can shift my entire portfolio into a Ltd company without the tedium of having to pay Stamp Duty, AND the valuations for CGT purposes get reset, so saving me £10ks AND we then have a structure in place for Sucession Planning purposes.

And this will all go towards mitingating the amount of Tenant Tax that I would otherwise be forced to pass on.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Er cough..

Putting my rent up next year. Let them squeal.
                Only in GBP terms. In EUR, you'll still be nursing a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Er cough..

Putting my rent up next year. Let them squeal.
                  Surely you don't have enough U.K. based income to be hit by the tax change?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    So NLYUK will be ok with her BTL* empire of illrepute.

* B1thches to let
                    FTFY:

View Profile: MarillionFan - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
                    View Profile: northernladuk - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
                    View Profile: vetran - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
                      An unexpected consequence of all of this is that (with a bit of planning) I can shift my entire portfolio into a Ltd company without the tedium of having to pay Stamp Duty, AND the valuations for CGT purposes get reset, so saving me £10ks AND we then have a structure in place for Sucession Planning purposes.

And this will all go towards mitingating the amount of Tenant Tax that I would otherwise be forced to pass on.
                      I hope the scheme you are using is better thought through than the ones I've seen.

Most make your typical contractor loan scheme look thought through and some seem to believe that mortgage companies don't get notified by the land registry when ownership is changed.

Comment

Working...
                      X