• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Them Tories are going mad mental

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kolata View Post
    Have you tried to call a polish plumber (car mechanic, carpenter, plasterer etc) and ask for a quote?
    2-3 times cheaper than indigenous tradesman.

The price aside;Have you used a local tradesman? Do you know the tulip quality of the work they do and the time it takes them to do it?

Try all above. Then start preaching about locals doing stuff. Huge % of the locals are brain dead (this forum population excluded, mostly).
    I think you need to take a minute to consider that not all of England is in the same state.

I have just spent the last 10 years or more renovating a barn conversion in the west country using only local trades people. I would not recommend it for fun but it worked out pretty well for me and them and our local economy. Would I have the same luck in London? probably not.
    but I learned very quickly that hiring a tradesman needs to be done on recommendation not a phone book.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I would not go that far. But would you agree with:
      Poorly put but broadly yes.

but should we treat people who weren't born here or haven't been accepted as citizens exactly the same as those who were?

Should we continue to increase our population to hold wages down?

Should we accept people we know are not who they say they are?

I assume you believe English students should get free Education in Scotland then?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
        Have you tried to call a polish plumber (car mechanic, carpenter, plasterer etc) and ask for a quote?
        2-3 times cheaper than indigenous tradesman.

The price aside;Have you used a local tradesman? Do you know the tulip quality of the work they do and the time it takes them to do it?

Try all above. Then start preaching about locals doing stuff. Huge % of the locals are brain dead (this forum population excluded, mostly).
        Completely untrue and I live in London.
        We use people that the family have known and used for years with no problem.

Seems its actually you that have an issue and are prejudice against indigenous people around you?
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I've touched a nerve.

The SNP always like to keep the Nazi connections hidden.
          Says the guy who condones the bombing of shopping centres.

Nothing to say about your IRA links with Germany then or did that not happen ?
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Poorly put but broadly yes.

but should we treat people who weren't born here or haven't been accepted as citizens exactly the same as those who were?

Should we continue to increase our population to hold wages down?

Should we accept people we know are not who they say they are?

I assume you believe English students should get free Education in Scotland then?

It seems to me we often forget the reciprocal agreements that take place allowing me to work in Germany, although not born here. Do you really want me back?

Our population compared to other corners of the world is not that big, such as Singapore or Hong Kong. The housing problem is a legacy from Thatcher days gone by selling council houses and not replacing them. Stupid.

If our population were half I'd guarantee you and all white British workers they'd still be exploited by UK plc. Mark my words.

We've been a nation chasing short-term goals. That's our downfall.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              I think you need to take a minute to consider that not all of England is in the same state.

I have just spent the last 10 years or more renovating a barn conversion in the west country using only local trades people. I would not recommend it for fun but it worked out pretty well for me and them and our local economy. Would I have the same luck in London? probably not.
              but I learned very quickly that hiring a tradesman needs to be done on recommendation not a phone book.
              Absolutely agree with this. Had a small-ish bedroom plastered on Wednesday which involved all walls being skimmed. Very nice chap, came recommmended and I've used him several times. £130 all in and top quality job.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                My apologies, went for core of the argument rather than ScoterScot's bigoted opinion of England.
                It boils down to some childhood grievance. He's not yet said what. Fancy enlightening us Scooter?

Comment

Can't see that requiring companies to reveal number of foreign workers helps in any way and probably will just increase prejudice.

Leaving aside the separate issue of asylum seekers, what we need are proper strict immigration controls to ensure that nobody comes here whose presence does not significantly outweigh any problems they add due to increased population. We need stricter, more sensible citizenship tests too. Instead of asking daft questions about who built the Tower of London etc. they should have tests to ensure people understand our laws, accept our major principles and are prepared and able to integrate.

This stuff some post about the lazy British etc, even if it is true, is not a reason to bring in migrants. Unless we tackle the problems of lax welfare, poor education or whatever else is causing our problems, then sooner or later those wonderful migrants are going to end up with the same problems. The reality is, although we are not supposed to say it, is that migration over the last 70 years has given us some of the worst performing groups.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    It boils down to some childhood grievance. He's not yet said what. Fancy enlightening us Scooter?
                    What ARE you talking about?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      What ARE you talking about?
                      Your massive anti-English bent. Having lived in Northern Ireland I've seen pepole with very similar opinions to yours. I'll hazard a guess that you were brought up in a part of Scotland that suffered from sectarian problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X