• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

The strange and slow death of CUK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Generally, it does, like the old helpdesk mantra of "have you tried rebooting", apply to 80% of cases though.

    I agree with this sentiment but General has always been a wild place since I was lurking. What I have noticed is that this has spread over into the professional forums, which could arguably be moderated more strongly. The sockie accounts don't help though as there are trolls on here which seem intent on winding up the likes of NLUK, who I believe is genuinely trying to be helpful and tries to restrain his disdain for people who cannot be bothered searching.

    Wilmslow and Suity are special cases who make rods for their own backs though.

    As a director of a company you're responsible for your business. An accountant is only an advisor and any action really needs corroboration from multiple sources to become a solid decision.

    Rather than:

    "Have you asked your accountant?"

    I'd prefer to see things like:

    "Ideally you need to ask your accountant to get their professional input. In my experience though, since I've been contracting I've found that X has little to no impact on Y."

    Good advice to seek professional expertise alongside anecdotal evidence of the day to day experiences of fellow contractors.

    Too much to ask?
    Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by Intel View Post
      As a director of a company you're responsible for your business. An accountant is only an advisor and any action really needs corroboration from multiple sources to become a solid decision.

      Rather than:

      "Have you asked your accountant?"

      I'd prefer to see things like:

      "Ideally you need to ask your accountant to get their professional input. In my experience though, since I've been contracting I've found that X has little to no impact on Y."

      Good advice to seek professional expertise alongside anecdotal evidence of the day to day experiences of fellow contractors.

      Too much to ask?
      Too much to ask of a toilet trader with early onset dementia, I'm afraid my duck.

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Too much to ask of a toilet trader with early onset dementia, I'm afraid my duck.
        Hence the slow death of this place. If you can't come to a contractor forum and get help from fellow professionals with valuable experience to share, rather than be abused, belittled and generally humiliated what's the point of coming at all?
        Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by Intel View Post
          Hence the slow death of this place. If you can't come to a contractor forum and get help from fellow professionals with valuable experience to share, rather than be abused, belittled and generally humiliated what's the point of coming at all?
          Not sure I've asked you before, but do you want to buy a toilet?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

          Comment


            #25
            Doodab died
            MTT buggered off
            EO flounced
            zeity ditto


            And instead we got FLC and his ilk...

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              wibble
              There's a lot of bedwetting going on here today.

              People must have been nice to you back in the past. Lets see. Here maybe.

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by Intel View Post
                Hence the slow death of this place. If you can't come to a contractor forum and get help from fellow professionals with valuable experience to share, rather than be abused, belittled and generally humiliated what's the point of coming at all?
                I hardly think an extra few lines to a post essentially ending with the guy ignoring them and going to ask a professional as he should in the first place is really going make an ounce of difference to the forim dying.

                NO forum on the internet suffers laziness and rank stupidity well. You'll get the same mauling on Mumsnet, Immigration boards and so on. Hell I asked a question about Bluetooth on a car forum yonks ago and got told in no uncertain terms to go do a search. It worked and I'm bought in. I've even seen people being told to speak to their accountants on the AccountingWeb forum.

                Obviously most of this is aimed at me and yes I'm pretty bad at it but we all have our failings. You seem to forget many other threads I've gone in to detail and linked information.

                Here is an idea though, only 176 posts in over a year? How about you start contributing in the style you suggest and put your money where your mouth is?
                Last edited by northernladuk; 30 September 2016, 13:01.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I hardly think an extra few lines to a post essentially ending with the guy ignoring them and going to ask a professional as he should in the first place is really going make an ounce of difference to the forim dying.
                  So it's not your fault then?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by Intel View Post
                    Hence the slow death of this place. If you can't come to a contractor forum and get help from fellow professionals with valuable experience to share, rather than be abused, belittled and generally humiliated what's the point of coming at all?
                    He earns an extra three quid a shot if he can manage it.

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I hardly think an extra few lines to a post essentially ending with the guy ignoring them and going to ask a professional as he should in the first place is really going make an ounce of difference to the forim dying.
                      To be honest it's more the general approach to newbies than the wording. There's a general "***** off until you've made all the mistakes we have and have 10 years experience" attitude that pervades the entire forum. The whole "ask you accountant" scenario was really just an example of the wider malaise affecting this place.

                      I stopped asking the professional questions I wanted answering here not long after I started asking them.

                      Now I just browse general because Sickipedia isn't what it once was......
                      Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X