• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grammar schools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    The left will finally have to except that not everybody is equal as far as learning abilities are concerned. Some are good with their hands, let them go to a plumber, electrician, chefs school or whatever in stead of making them struggle through GSCE's which they will fail anyway and many will drop out with no education at all before that. Give them the option to go to school with their peers, learn at their own pace and don't hold up intelligent children and make private education/grammar schools necessary.
    I have no problem with that. Just make sure at the other end a plumber is paid as much as a banker.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I have no problem with that. Just make sure at the other end a plumber is paid as much as a banker.
      why?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        why?
        Not heard of Pimilico Plumbers?

Plumbers are more immediate use to society e.g. stopping us getting diseases like cholera than bankers.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Because it entrenches the less well off who'd otherwise pay for private tuition for not so smart Oscar 11+ exam.

If we're ever to tackle the big problems in society, such as equality, then the tackling starts right here, at school.
          Actually most of the people paying for tuition aren't poor. Taxi Drivers, Mechanics & secretaries. The cost is minimal (< £1k a year).

The real problem is the non selective education system doesn't like Grammar schools.

As I told my Uncle & Aunt who taught at Comprehensive Secondary schools if you want to get rid of Grammar schools the make sure your pupils fare better. That was not popular.

As I told the local education officer who told us we shouldn't put our Daughter in for 11 plus the grammar schools are the only ones she could go to without getting pregnant or addicted to drugs like she wuld in the council options.

They are in Academies now & doing very well, I'm not a grandad yet. The old comprehensives are slowly falling to academies. Schools that you once wouldn't touch with a barge pole are now over subscribed. My eldest's school they are drawing the catchment area in metres until they can expand.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

why?
            Because they are experts in what they do.
            Besides you've already kicked out the cheap EU labour.
            An engineer in Germany is held in the same regard as a Dr in medicine.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Because they are experts in what they do.
              Besides you've already kicked out the cheap EU labour.
              An engineer in Germany is held in the same regard as a Dr in medicine.
              So you are saying everyone should be paid the same no matter what they do?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

So you are saying everyone should be paid the same no matter what they do?
                No. I'm not suggesting an end to capitalism.

But using your interpretation you'd probably think it's okay for a PhD in Physics on £19k a year a CERN, unlocking the secrets of nature, versus a PhD in mathematics unlocking algorithms for high frequency trading on £190k a year.

I know which one working for the betterment of all. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

If she doesn't pass, then it's £100k of private school fees over the next 5 years that the family will have to make sacrifices for.

where are you sending her . . . Hogwarts?

Comment

No. I'm not suggesting an end to capitalism.

But using your interpretation you'd probably think it's okay for a PhD in Physics on £19k a year a CERN, unlocking the secrets of nature, versus a PhD in mathematics unlocking algorithms for high frequency trading on £190k a year.

I know which one working for the betterment of all. Do you?
                    How lovely and quaint an idea. Now, back in the real world, where there are powers at work that give not one toss about such idealistic notions....
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post

where are you sending her . . . Hogwarts?
                      my kids schools are 15k per year 2 children 15k*2*7 = 210k and that's a quite average fee for a selective private school and all of this just because the state education system is an absolute disgrace and I'm not getting my tax back because I pay myself for education (and medical health)

Comment

Working...
                      X