• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grammar schools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going through the 11+ this year with my eldest and it is a real pain. Without training I would say it is virtually impossible to compete against an average kid who has been trained; unfortunately that is the simple truth of the matter.

My daughter excels in school, but I have doubts she will make it into grammar school because we live in a highly competitive area where several boroughs target 5 grammar schools. Something like 5000 kids will vie for 1000 places.

It's been difficult studying through summer and putting the kid through tests and her confidence has taken a hit after some less than average mock test results. Ultimately, however, I know she has learned a great deal - her English and Maths is now very strong, albeit perhaps not in grammar school exam environment. The education will put her in a strong position going forward, regardless of whether she makes it into grammar school.

We've only "trained" for around 6 months (part-time of course) but I know of people who begin when their kid is very young, even at 5 or 6 years old, which is ridiculous. Some of my daughter's classmates know only of study and nothing else, so they have no personality and have few or no friends. Frankly I think it is pathetic the extent to which some parents will go: they will put their kids through hell, destroy their social skills and lie to other parents so throw them off-track – such is the competitiveness.

I’d rather have a well-rounded child, and of course would provide the best facilities for education I could.

My gripe now is that we don’t have a decent free schooling system where I live and I can't afford to move; the local comprehensives border on ‘needing improvement’. So the alternative to grammar is private schooling… for the next 5 years… at £15k a year. And then I have 2 more kids to put through high-school soon! Considering that I wanted to semi-retire next year, this is not an ideal shift in my life-plan.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I do not send mine to public school of any sort
      Apologies for the memory lapse. Did you go to the public school for thickos beginning with the letter "S" (IIRC)?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Apologies for the memory lapse. Did you go to the public school for thickos beginning with the letter "S" (IIRC)?
        S*itlake?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Going through the 11+ this year with my eldest and it is a real pain. Without training I would say it is virtually impossible to compete against an average kid who has been trained; unfortunately that is the simple truth of the matter.

My daughter excels in school, but I have doubts she will make it into grammar school because we live in a highly competitive area where several boroughs target 5 grammar schools. Something like 5000 kids will vie for 1000 places.

It's been difficult studying through summer and putting the kid through tests and her confidence has taken a hit after some less than average mock test results. Ultimately, however, I know she has learned a great deal - her English and Maths is now very strong, albeit perhaps not in grammar school exam environment. The education will put her in a strong position going forward, regardless of whether she makes it into grammar school.

We've only "trained" for around 6 months (part-time of course) but I know of people who begin when their kid is very young, even at 5 or 6 years old, which is ridiculous. Some of my daughter's classmates know only of study and nothing else, so they have no personality and have few or no friends. Frankly I think it is pathetic the extent to which some parents will go: they will put their kids through hell, destroy their social skills and lie to other parents so throw them off-track – such is the competitiveness.

I’d rather have a well-rounded child, and of course would provide the best facilities for education I could.

My gripe now is that we don’t have a decent free schooling system where I live and I can't afford to move; the local comprehensives border on ‘needing improvement’. So the alternative to grammar is private schooling… for the next 5 years… at £15k a year. And then I have 2 more kids to put through high-school soon! Considering that I wanted to semi-retire next year, this is not an ideal shift in my life-plan.
          Interesting post. I did to speak to one parent I mentioned this to and I said maybe I'll start getting my lad studying for 11+ when he's around nine, she replied No, you need to do it when he's seven, earlier the better. He is six next month and is one of the brighter ones in his class but not sure I want to start him that young. I'm all for learning but you can over-do anything as with most things in life. Then there's the issue if he passed the 11+ got and in and my daughter didn't. Now that would cause them therapy in later life.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            Interesting post. I did to speak to one parent I mentioned this to and I said maybe I'll start getting my lad studying for 11+ when he's around nine, she replied No, you need to do it when he's seven, earlier the better. He is six next month and is one of the brighter ones in his class but not sure I want to start him that young. I'm all for learning but you can over-do anything as with most things in life. Then there's the issue if he passed the 11+ got and in and my daughter didn't. Now that would cause them therapy in later life.

qh
            Same challenge here. My next child will soon be 8 and we have decided against formal 11+ 'training'. Instead we will be educating her ourselves (I mean over and above school), on a slow and steady path so that she is more confident with advanced English and stronger in math. Again, she is a bright kid and in all the top groups at school, but it isn't enough if she isn't eventually taught the 11+ technique.

Now if eldest has to go private school and middle child gets into grammar... that may well lead them to face therapy in later life

Comment

Our lad goes to private (prep) school.
              He's 7 and already the testing is ramping up.
              I can't fault the teaching (his reading age at 6 was 10) and he knows his times tables already.
              But I object to hot-housing so thinking of taking him out, either to a good state school or to an alternative private school which is less intense.
              Childhood is for playing and enjoying himself.
              Hopefully he'll find an interest and a passion for some subject later and that's far more important than exam results.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I can't fault the teaching (his reading age at 6 was 10) and he knows his times tables already.
                But I object to hot-housing so thinking of taking him out, either to a good state school or to an alternative private school which is less intense.
                Hopefully he'll find an interest and a passion for some subject later and that's far more important than exam results.
                When we moved to Ireland we had a weird set of choices for Primary School, as they all have "patronage". The local Roman Catholic school seemed a bit mad (no running allowed outside and plenty of prayer based homework etc.) - having said that they are very respectful of non-Catholic families. We wouldn't have minded the CoI (Anglican) school, but it was over-subscribed and we weren't prepared to play the "Attend church to get the vicar to say we are regular attenders" game. So we went with the Educate Together, democratically controlled by parents, no school uniform, multi-faith and call teachers by their first name. There is quite a prejudice against it in conservative quarters but it's absolutely great.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  In other words you want to impress everyone about how clever your child is . Who is the real father BTW?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Same challenge here. My next child will soon be 8 and we have decided against formal 11+ 'training'. Instead we will be educating her ourselves (I mean over and above school), on a slow and steady path so that she is more confident with advanced English and stronger in math. Again, she is a bright kid and in all the top groups at school, but it isn't enough if she isn't eventually taught the 11+ technique.

Now if eldest has to go private school and middle child gets into grammar... that may well lead them to face therapy in later life
                    Move house to an area with good schools for all?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      In other words you want to impress everyone about how clever your child is .
                      Yeah, sorry about yours.
                      But never mind there is a phenomenon call "reversion to the mean" so they're probably marginally more intelligent than you.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X