• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    New kitchen extension built, nearly finished. Price fixed, together with staged payments associated with deliverables nut no timescale agreed.

Here's the problem; I reckon there's about £1,500 worth of work left to be completed (triggering their final payment upon building regs sign off). They've not been on site for five weeks (citing bad weather - we're in Manchester, so not unrealistic). Are we within our rights to bin them off and get someone else in because of non-delivery in a reasonable timescale or has the failure to include a delivery schedule scuppered that (we and the builder agreed we'd rather it go in right than go in rushed, so weren't concerned about timeboxing the thing, other than it being sufficiently done for the kitchen company to do their bit)?

We're considering telling them not to bother coming back and simply getting a different builder to quote us for finishing off (or Nick Knowles if it comes to it!)

Neither AndyW's mum nor my accountant will give a toss but hopefully one of you has had a similar experience. Any advice gratefully received.
    Get some Poles in. Never had a problem with them.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
      Get some Poles in. Never had a problem with them.
      I don't think he's putting up a tent.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I don't think he's putting up a tent.
        he might be choking them
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          Have you considered the possibility that the builders don't find your wife attractive?

Never thought they would. HTHBIDIYFP.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
          X