• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain to get absolutely everything it wants from Brexit negotiations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Do you think this deal (which I'm delighted with, as it's made me quite a profit) is because of Brexit?
    Nope its a vote of confidence in Britain. However anything and everything that goes wrong with the UK is the fault of Brexit according to the bitter and twisted brigade.

Just playing them at their own game.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      Nope its a vote of confidence in Britain
      Is it a good or a bad thing (I freely admit, I don't know)? Once again, the jury is out. https://next.ft.com/content/e5e0cf3e...5-db83e98a590a

FOR
      The chancellor of the exchequer, Philip Hammond, gave his unequivocal backing for SoftBank’s acquisition, saying the deal was a “big vote of confidence” in British business and would double the size of Arm’s UK workforce.

AGAINST
      “You cannot jump to conclusions that this is good or bad,” said Mr Cable. “This is the last big British tech company which is standing. You cannot ignore the potential consequences. That was shown by our experience in the past with Pfizer and Autonomy. “It’s worrying that we are simply unable to grow large tech companies in Britain.

Hermann Hauser, who helped found Arm Holdings as a spin-off from his Acorn Computers in 1990, described a SoftBank takeover of the Cambridge-based technology company as one of the “sad and unintended consequences” of Brexit...Arm is the proudest achievement of my life and it is the biggest player in the UK tech sector,” he told the Financial Times. “The future of Arm could have been determined by the UK management team. Now it will be determined in Japan.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is it a good or a bad thing (I freely admit, I don't know)? Once again, the jury is out. https://next.ft.com/content/e5e0cf3e...5-db83e98a590a

FOR
        The chancellor of the exchequer, Philip Hammond, gave his unequivocal backing for SoftBank’s acquisition, saying the deal was a “big vote of confidence” in British business and would double the size of Arm’s UK workforce.

AGAINST
        “You cannot jump to conclusions that this is good or bad,” said Mr Cable. “This is the last big British tech company which is standing. You cannot ignore the potential consequences. That was shown by our experience in the past with Pfizer and Autonomy. “It’s worrying that we are simply unable to grow large tech companies in Britain.

Hermann Hauser, who helped found Arm Holdings as a spin-off from his Acorn Computers in 1990, described a SoftBank takeover of the Cambridge-based technology company as one of the “sad and unintended consequences” of Brexit...Arm is the proudest achievement of my life and it is the biggest player in the UK tech sector,” he told the Financial Times. “The future of Arm could have been determined by the UK management team. Now it will be determined in Japan.

What exactly is wrong with a UK company being bought by an overseas company?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

FOR

AGAINST

Very little to do with Brexit. Currency rate better for the Japanese to buy with but they paid 43% over the current price. I'm sure they wouldn't have suddenly decided to do that in 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Dunno. Just pointing out that there isn't cross the board agreement that it is a good thing. Why not read what the experts says and make up your own mind. As I said - it's a great thing for me - I'm all in favour!

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            Very little to do with Brexit. Currency rate better for the Japanese to buy with but they paid 43% over the current price. I'm sure they wouldn't have suddenly decided to do that in 4 weeks.
            I don't disagree, and nothing I quoted said anything about Brexit. The question is whether it is a good thing for Britain?

I think the question of Brexit is getting in the way. Imagine there had been no referendum and the announcement had been made. What would your view be then?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

This was yet another Brexit prediction come true.

Brexit Will Slap a 'For Sale' Sign on U.K. Plc - Bloomberg Gadfly

Britain will end up as a "football" being kicked around by everyone else, particularly when Scotland leaves.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Every single point you make is derogatory about the UK.

That is because he couldn't cut it here. Envy can be a dreadful curse. Particularly when allied to limited ability.
                The idiocy of some people astounds me
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  This was yet another Brexit prediction come true.

Brexit Will Slap a 'For Sale' Sign on U.K. Plc - Bloomberg Gadfly

Britain will end up as a "football" being kicked around by everyone else, particularly when Scotland leaves.

So a Japanese company is making an agreed bid for a £24bn company due to Brexit which occurred 3 weeks ago....

Given that its supposedly been 6 months in the planning somehow I doubt it. But keep trying to crowbar any fact you find into the narrative you believe is true....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Cadburys for example. Kraft told the people one thing and decided to do something else: BBC - West Country Cash: "Kraft made a fool of us," say Keynsham chocolate workers

But you don't seem to care about the British anyway...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      The idiocy of some people astounds me
                      If idiots are right about you just think what intelligent people would have to say
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X