• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU accepts inevitable informal negotiations before Article 50

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    Personally I blame the parents.
    Who you blame is not important. How you fix it is.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Looks goos except 3 is open to abuse as you could easily get a mate to get you a 'job' for 2 years and then you are home free.

Needs to be 5 years and you need to be able to pass a basic citizenship/language test as well.

Also for all those saying business would leave the UK - even in it's current political state (which is about to be resolved) the UK still has a very stable social structure which you do not find in many of the other EU states which makes the UK still an attractive proposition.
      Agree, 5 years + citizenship test. Some European countries have even longer timings.

Also agree, the UK has had a very stable social structure, till now
      However as the referendum showed there are signs of unravelling and disunity.
      I think the inevitable shrinkage of the economy with Brexit will make that social structure even more unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        Who you blame is not important. How you fix it is.
        Go to any Iceland, Morissons or Tesco this lunch time and the scale of the problem will hit you hard

Comment

I suspect that tess will get us the worst of both worlds so both sides are going to wind up disgruntled & we'll limp along in a state of limbo until the next election when the issue will be finally resolved by people voting to Remain (or rejoin - if that's even possible).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Published: 11:14, 11 July 2016 | Updated: 16:16, 11 July 2016

Merkel - "Says EU leaders had made it very clear to UK government that negotiations will not begin until Article 50 is triggered"

Angela Merkel warns Britain you can't 'cherry pick' EU laws after Brexit | Daily Mail Online
            This is posturing/pre-negotiating to set the scene for a better deal when we get to the negotiating table, nothing else.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I personally know at least 2 successful entreprenuers in that space and believe me, language skills are the least of their problems.
              You may well be right, I'm only going by personal (or rather, family) experience. My father ran a reasonably large business in Germany throughout most of the 90's. You won't get very far in Germany if you don't speak at least basic German. Although, I did encounter a very sweet German lass when I stayed there (too many bloody years ago) who wanted me not just for my body but mainly for my English skills - she was doing her higher certificate or something - I'm fairly certain I never uttered the phrase "Vielen Dank", but I should have done...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rouge View Post
                I suspect that tess will get us the worst of both worlds so both sides are going to wind up disgruntled & we'll limp along in a state of limbo until the next election when the issue will be finally resolved by people voting to Remain (or rejoin - if that's even possible).
                Rejoin means adopting the Euro. Sources are available, but I can't be arsed to google them. New EU rules, apparently. So instead of being slightly f@cked, we'd be right royally f@cked.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  You may well be right, I'm only going by personal (or rather, family) experience. My father ran a reasonably large business in Germany throughout most of the 90's. You won't get very far in Germany if you don't speak at least basic German. Although, I did encounter a very sweet German lass when I stayed there (too many bloody years ago) who wanted me not just for my body but mainly for my English skills - she was doing her higher certificate or something - I'm fairly certain I never uttered the phrase "Vielen Dank", but I should have done...
                  But most of the immigrants in London speak better English than the natives
                  I can see how German might be a problem though, bloody hard language - I know I've tried to learn it, unsuccesfully.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I'd like to see a Freedom of Movement (for EU citizens and few non-EU) like this:

1. If you've a firm job offer, you can enter the country and start working. No quotas, no justification.
                    2. If you haven't a firm job offer, you've got 3 months to look for work, but must no recourse to state funds
                    3. Once you've worked in the country for two years, you become permanent resident with all the benefits that accrue a citizen (except voting rights).
                    Why not voting rights? All sorts of non-UK nationals got to vote in the referendum, and EU citizens normally get to vote in UK elections. If you're a permanent resident and you pay taxes here surely you have a right to have a say.

3 months doesn't seem long to look for work. If there's no access to benefits why not allow an indefinite stay? If a billionaire wants to move to London with no intention of working are we going to stop them?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But most of the immigrants in London speak better English than the natives
                      I can see how German might be a problem though, bloody hard language - I know I've tried to learn it, unsuccesfully.
                      Agree on both counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X