• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU accepts inevitable informal negotiations before Article 50

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    The elephant in the room here is that we could stop all migration tomorrow, and the 50% of the population with an IQ below 100 (by definition) would still not be able to fill the vacancies in the knowledge economy. No amount of education and training is going to convert someone with an IQ of 90 into a tulip hot developer, analyst, scientist, or doctor.

All that would happen is that companies would move elsewhere where they can get skilled and educated workers.

I'm a Tory voter but even I can see this was the strategic flaw in Thatcher's push for the "service" economy and destruction of factory jobs.

That's why this revolt by the stupid is ultimately doomed - they are not going to get what they hoped for because it is impossible.
    100% agree with everything you say. I think I may need a lie down now.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      You perpetuate the lie that migrants are overall useful to the economy, when everyone knows that they're all feckless itinerant types just coming to the UK to bleed the benefit system, use the NHS and send their child allowances home to support their eight or nine children by four different women.
      I can only speak for London, but the people I know who have started up in the fintech industries employ > 50% foreign staff.
      You'd expect some of the people on this forum to be working in those industries but this forum has long since ceased to be about successful IT workers.

Comment

You perpetuate the lie that migrants are overall useful to the economy, when everyone knows that they're all feckless itinerant types just coming to the UK to bleed the benefit system, use the NHS and send their child allowances home to support their eight or nine children by four different women.
        I guess then the local white trash chavs are much better and they don't have 5-6-12 children.
        Last edited by kolata; 12 July 2016, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
          I can only speak for London, but the people I know who have started up in the fintech industries employ > 50% foreign staff.
          You'd expect some of the people on this forum to be working in those industries but this forum has long since ceased to be about successful IT workers.
          I suspect that has more to do with a requirement (rightly or wrongly) for language skills. We English have no such need to learn such irrelevant things, because as we know, everyone else knows at least some English. And if they don't, we can at least shout at them.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You perpetuate the lie that migrants are overall useful to the economy
            Well he perpetuates the lie that the British are somehow lazy, thick and don't want to work. It's simply not true.

But a thing that frustrates me is that there is a poverty of ambition that has been allowed to develop in British society over the last 50 years. By all political parties.

UK to bleed the benefit system, use the NHS
            Funny you should mention that. Last night I was chatting to my wife, who's a Health Visitor. She'd had a difficult visit to a women with 4 young kids. The husband earns very little and so they have council accommodation and a lot of health needs. It transpires that he's "Spanish". The rest of the family are Ghanaian. He's actually Ghanaian too but with Spanish citizenship. They didn't live in Spain for very long. In fact I don't think the wife + kids ever did.

I don't really see why UK taxpayers should be on the hook to provide housing, healthcare, and education for entire families when they cannot contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              I suspect that has more to do with a requirement (rightly or wrongly) for language skills. We English have no such need to learn such irrelevant things, because as we know, everyone else knows at least some English. And if they don't, we can at least shout at them.
              Language skills?
              I'm talking about companies based in London, why on earth would they need languages other than English?
              Nope its mathematical/advanced computer/advanced conceptual skills and even personal skills that they can't find in the volume they need.
              I suspect if this problem gets harder because of increased paperwork or because the best and brightest don't want to work in what's now perceived to be a xenophobic European backwater, they'll all fook off to Berlin.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Well he perpetuates the lie that the British are somehow lazy, thick and don't want to work. It's simply not true.
                Where did I say that?
                It's true of every society in the world, about 50% of the population, cannot with the best will in the world, do the sorts of jobs that pay well in a modern economy.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

I don't really see why UK taxpayers should be on the hook to provide housing, healthcare, and education for entire families when they cannot contribute.
                  Because you already do to your own white trash chavs.

Comment

Even if they all have IQ of 200+, they need houses. Schools. Hospitals. Transport.

Is the UK prepared for that?

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                      Because you already do to your own white trash chavs.
                      Your attitude stinks. It's essentially racist.

Comment

Working...
                      X