• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loathsome to make a statement at noon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    What competition? Spot The Ballsup?
    We've just finished a 4-month campaign in which immigration was front and centre, during which May, who was nominally for Bremain, was nowhere to be found. She's a very canny politician. She knew that either result would wipe out a good fraction of her competitors, so she adopted the pragmatic position of siding with the (more likely) winner, but not aggressively so. She then spent that period planning for her leadership bid. It wasn't a complete surprise that Boris and Gove shot each other or, at least, that Boris hoisted himself with his own petard. He's a journalist (and not a very good one). Anyway, as unbelievable as recent events might appear, they were not completely unpredictable, and May was certainly ready for this eventuality.

She's also canny enough to know that her working majority in Parliament is relatively slim and that the honeymoon period will be relatively short if she makes any strategic blunders. She has famously alienated some sections of her Parliamentary party (notably Gove's team, but the Notting Hill Tories more generally don't particularly like her).

Incidentally, I'd expect Article 50 by the end of this year or early next year, but she'll be driven by the strategic advantage on that, rather than whim. It's interesting that many Bremainers seem to think (hope, I suppose) that she'll dramatically water down Brexit or even fail to invoke Article 50 (Express readers ). Again, I'd suggest that anyone who believes this hasn't really been paying attention to May over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Apparently it can't be too soon because The Queen is away.

British democracy: it's great.
      Her Majesty got more important things to do - prepare for Thursday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It has to be done at Buckingham Palace so the Queen, Camoron and May don't have a choice.
        14th is already booked!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          14th is already booked!
          Will take them less than an hour. Camoron drives in, steps down and drives out as May is driving in and steps up.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

OI! Who said you could use my copyrighted name for her SE? I shall Sue.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              OI! Who said you could use my copyrighted name for her SE? I shall Sue.
              Sorry but it was very good - Loathsome

Now all we are left with is Mother Theresa.

Comment

Now all we are left with is Mother Theresa.

Comment

Now all we are left with is Not A Mother Theresa.
                  FTFY
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Mother Teresa was actually regarded as nasty by some people. There was a book and a channel 4 documentary that "exposed" her nasty side. One of the day things she apparently thought and said is that poor people needed to accept their poverty while the rich were divine.

Then there are the stories of the Catholic nuns abusing pregnant unmarried mothers in Ireland. The leader of such an order is a Mother Superior.

Hence calling May "Mother Theresa" isn't as nice as it first appears...

Comment

It is interesting to compare and contrast the actions of the two parties.

Seems that the Tories decided to do what is best for the country and restore stability by not fighting a battle which would clearly have been won by May and which would have meant no PM till September

Where as Labour are running around challenging laws about how many MP's you need to support you before you can run for leadership and to hell with other things.

I suppose you could argue that Labour have fook all else to do for next 2 years so they can fook around all they want.

Comment

Working...
                      X