• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not to late to 'Go back on Brexit'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    A set of laws around trade yes

but the common market grew into the EU and then we started to get lots of other laws and that is what we do not want.
    I keep asking people (and never get an answer) what all these laws they're worried about actually are. Obviously there's immigration, but that's trade in labour and/or right to go and spend your hard earned money in another market so it is trade (though I take the point about benefits). Things like The Working Time Directive are to do with ensuring fair trade by preventing anyone abusing the work force, fisheries and farming policies, though sometimes a bit hard to fathom are also about food trade (and we had butter mountains and wine lakes when it was just the EEC). Further integration in the form of the Euro and Schengen are also about trade, but of course we opted out of both.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Dimon is correct in what he says, if the EU reforms the free movement of people principle then a re-vote would keep the UK in.

Problem is Tusk aint listening and instead is about to go full Rambo.

The only way Dimons scenario pans out is if Tusk is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        For sure time limited; I would have thought 24 months would be a reasonable period, but would go with 12

If they're living, working, and contributing here, sure why not. Or if I am living and working "there" sure, why not.

I love the "right to roam" enshrined in the EU but it shouldn't be a right for anyone and everyone to move to the country with "the best deal from the public purse" be that here or elsewhere. Is it unreasonable to have some kind of probationary period where we are supported by our country of origin until we have "proven" ourselves to our adopted home?
        It is up to the UK to put in laws that decides who is applicable for state benefits.

In doing so they mustn't discriminate against EU nationals that have made their lives in the UK. The fact that only a few benefits have residency requirements is the UK government's fault not the EU's.

You may think this unfair but due to the pensioners who have moved abroad to places like France and Spain and are now getting very ill due to old age and are not entitled to help from the NHS, social services in the UK, etc I wouldn't complain.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Speaks a man with clearly no leadership skills
          Speaks a man with clearly no skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Speaks a man with clearly no skills.
            I suspect Dodgy will be among the first to feel the negative effects of Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

For me to consider changing my vote the solution is easy. No one or body outside the UK has the right to overturn rulings made by our courts. We decide our own laws. Easy really.
              Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              The Hague has feck all to do with the EU!!!
              Where did you mention the EU? BTW, the Hague does have something to do with the EU, it is in the EU so presumably once Brexit is all done and dusted, then he would have to be extradited to a country in the EU
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
                I suspect Dodgy will be among the first to feel the negative effects of Brexit.
                The cockroaches will survive any apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  The cockroaches will survive any apocalypse.
                  I suspect Crows, as well, either way he will be safe.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                    "benefits" should be paid by the country of origin of the citizen. It is crazy that people working here are entitled to child benefit for children who have never even set foot here, and without in or out of work benefits only self supporting workers would want to come? no need for PBS.

If Cameron had come back with a real solution in February I think the vote would have been different, this isn't "Brexit" it's constructive dismissal!
                    In most countries of the EU, child benefits are paid only if the child is resident. That is not an EU problem, it is up to the UK to make that law.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/288

Child allowances paid in respect of children who live in another EU country costs the UK taxpayer over £55 million per year, or over £1 million a week. In all other EU countries except the UK, Czech Republic, Germany, Latvia and the Netherlands the child must be resident in that country in order to qualify for child allowances.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      I suspect Crows, as well, either way he will be safe.
                      I'm starting to back the seagulls.

Comment

Working...
                      X